[SOLVED] Mouse and Keyboard not working, new Motherboard, build

Majestic

Reaction score
So I just replaced a clients desktop motherboard because it was very flaky with the intention of rebuilding it.

I got a new MSI Motherboard, new ram, and new power supply. It might be worth mentioning that the first motherboard I got WAS DOA and I had to rma it today as well (straight swap.)

I installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit problem free on an SSD. Installed mobo drivers, rebooted a few times. Finally get back to the desktop and I can't use the mouse and keyboard at all. I'm thinking okay a driver went badly right?

So I switched to a wired desktop keyboard and mouse and waited for it to be detected (although it already was on boot up I tested it).. NADA! .. Tried a different port (made sure it wasn't usb 3.0 just in case). Still no dice.

So I tried to boot into safe mode and I still didn't have keyboard or mouse access.

When I went into the BIOS -- no problem. I checked all the settings such as making sure USB support was on (including legacy). Still no go.

I reboot again and went to "repair my computer..." again, NO Keyboard and mouse???

So then I booted back up with my original windows 7 retail installation usb key-- guess what? STILL no mouse and keyboard.

I then replaced the memory and power supply. Booted up-- No go again!

I then flashed to the latest firmware directly from MSI's website, rebooted. And still.. no mouse no keyboard.

YES I have tested this keyboard and mouse on another computer as well without issues (although as mentioned earlier it DOES work perfectly in the bios).

I've also disconnected all connectors including front usb and audio.. only thing connected right now is power, reset and VGA. At this point I don't know what to do? Did I get a second bum motherboard? Seems a strange coincedence. I'm also hypothesizing that it may be the case shorting the mobo...

Any suggestions or recommendations would be highly appreciated!!

Majestic

Sometimes drivers need a time to discover. Though would advise go here & Install drivers via Snappy Driver
https://sdi-tool.org/

Copy SDi to external, plug into said system and run x64 vers.

Wouldnt recommend MSI MB either = cheap nasty hardware

Works in the bios - well then, the motherboard and mouse/keyboard seem to be functioning properly.

Boot to a Linux/other CD & see how it works. My guess is that your install media is corrupt, as it seems to me that the USB drivers are not installing.

Works in the bios - well then, the motherboard and mouse/keyboard seem to be functioning properly.

Boot to a Linux/other CD & see how it works. My guess is that your install media is corrupt, as it seems to me that the USB drivers are not installing.

I boot up using hiren's boot CD, no mouse and no keyboard there either. I reset the bios to defaults as well and I also decharged the mobo. It's definitely not my media I use this almost everyday! I mean I tried Windows 7 pro retail on a usb AND Hiren's boot cd. What are the chances...

Sometimes drivers need a time to discover. Though would advise go here & Install drivers via Snappy Driver
https://sdi-tool.org/

Copy SDi to external, plug into said system and run x64 vers.

Wouldnt recommend MSI MB either = cheap nasty hardware

Thanks I'll take a look there. Although MSI I used to love years ago so I thought I'd try them again-- the mobo I was replacing was a gigabyte and I almost never have issues with them but.. this time I did.

If you don't have a Ubuntu (or some flavor of Linux) boot CD/USB, it's a handy addition to your kit. Ubuntu 12.04 will also boot on many Macs.

It almost sounds like you need to install MSI's drivers for this to work, but that would be a numbskull move on their part. What model of mobo is it, just in case someone else runs into this?

If you don't have a Ubuntu (or some flavor of Linux) boot CD/USB, it's a handy addition to your kit. Ubuntu 12.04 will also boot on many Macs.

It almost sounds like you need to install MSI's drivers for this to work, but that would be a numbskull move on their part. What model of mobo is it, just in case someone else runs into this?

B85M-G43

This is just insanity :)

This is a confusing one, as you mention that it works fine in the bios, but not w/ a boot disk, because a boot disk is running outside of windows, not using any system drivers, just as with the bios.

If this were on my bench, I believe I would try another HD...and/or completely wipe this drive with Activekilldisk, DBAN, etc., and start from scratch with a fresh Win 7 install. I wonder if the SSD may have come from the factory with some sort of drivers/software that are mucking things up.

Does the motherboard have ps2 ports? those should work by default. if so, use that for the mouse and keyboard to get your drivers. it happens, sometimes the MS default drivers on an install just arent compatible at the start.

Does the motherboard have ps2 ports? those should work by default. if so, use that for the mouse and keyboard to get your drivers. it happens, sometimes the MS default drivers on an install just arent compatible at the start.

I agree with Frederick here. I always keep a PS2 keyboard standing by... in fact I just leave it plugged into my main office computer. Sometimes the built-in Windows drivers just don't work... I bet snappy driver installer would fix you up.

I just came across another post about this mobo, same problem after installing USB 3 and "other" drivers (from MSI?) and rebooting. No PS2 either. Can you reinstall Win7 and get it going without the MSI drivers? Image it then, set a system restore point, then use Snappy as suggested, or check to see if MSI has updated drivers/bios for that board.

I've had the same issue with an ASUS mobo in the past. I used the PS2 mouse/keyboard combo port (which lucky for you is a feature on your mobo) as a work around.

Since Win 7 doesn't natively support USB 3.0, I had to load the drivers from the manufacturers website. You wouldn't expect the missing USB 3.0 drivers to cause problems with the USB 2.0 ports but the ASUS manual claimed that "based on the chipset spec, the 100 series requires USB 3.0 drivers to be preloaded in order to use USB mouse/keyboard during Win 7 installation."

Also, it would pay to scrutinize and experiment the UEFI for any settings pertaining to the USB ports. Maybe disabling USB 3 would be a temporary work around.

So just to Update you all... It was indeed hardware, not software. I went to RMA the motherboard and get this... Apparently I had not noticed but I had slightly bent a single cpu pin on the motherboard. My tech noticed this, straightened it out then mounted another cpu on it and guess what? Everything worked perfectly! I can not believe it. I'm always quite careful but I suppose this time I wasn't paying attention.

So there you have it! one bent pin is all it took :)

Thanks all for the suggestions.. I guess this goes down in my books !

Majestic

Back