Microsoft Forces Owners of Recent CPU Architectures to Use Windows 10

Porthos

Reaction score
Users of new CPU architectures will not receive Windows 7 and 8.1 updates anymore, according to a Microsoft support topic published last week. This means that if you've purchased one of those super-expensive 7th generation CPU models in the past few months, you'll have to update to Windows 10 if you want to receive any security updates. Currently, Windows 7 and 8.1 users will receive the following error when scanning or attempting to download Windows updates. Unsupported Hardware Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows and you won’t receive updates. Microsoft says that sometimes, an alternative error message also appears. Windows could not search for new updates An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error. Owners of the following 7th generation CPU models are known to be affected: Intel seventh generation processors (Intel Core ix 7xxx), AMD “Bristol Ridge,” and Qualcomm “8996." Users can still install Windows 7 or 8.1 on these CPU architectures and CPU drivers will continue to work. The only difference is that they won't receive security updates, leaving workstations exposed to malware and exploits.
tt.gif

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...f-recent-cpu-architectures-to-use-windows-10/

I've already experienced this issue last week on two of my Windows 7 Pro computers I built using an i7-7700k. One of them does not need to be connected to the internet, so no big deal there. The other however does. I did update it though by pulling the SSD and putting it in a donor machine, then reinstalling it back into the new one. This is not something I recommend doing nor would it be a work around - technically. I have read there is a registry hack that would bypass the microcode but cannot remember where I read if from. I'll have to dig into my history.

This is ridiculous. Although I have grown to like Windows 10, I much prefer Windows 7 and that is what I use at home. So when upgrading my CPU in the future, I now have to use Windows 10? Bummer.

Last edited:
Microsoft knows they have a lock on the operating system. They do not have to listen to consumers, because for most users, there is no alternative. Mac, Linux, Unix. Not even comparable, especially for end users and compatible software. Because of this, they can do what they want.

For a minute, they thought they could do the same with the Xbox one, but realized their ideas were not what the customers wanted, and unlike pc, we did have an alternative to goto.

Welcome to the future.

Pretty soon if they have their way, our lives will be managed from birth to death. You will own nothing and everything will be subscription based. When you die you won't have anything but the clothes on your back, except even they will be charged per month.

This is the distopian future they should have novelized.

Reactions: GTP
Can anyone with access to a 7th generation Intel processor please fire up the free wsusoffline, download Windows 7 updates and try applying them to the 7th generation Intel? I will certainly be trying this myself if we get one in. Thanks for the heads up.

Hmmm.. if it works then there is some more billable time rolling out wsusoffline and periodically triggering workstation updates!!

Can anyone with access to a 7th generation Intel processor please fire up the free wsusoffline, download Windows 7 updates and try applying them to the 7th generation Intel? I will certainly be trying this myself if we get one in. Thanks for the heads up.

Hmmm.. if it works then there is some more billable time rolling out wsusoffline and periodically triggering workstation updates!!

I would be interested in this as well.

I have a hard time getting excited about this. Seriously, what percentage of the market is filled by the intersection of the set of all people who must have the very latest processor and the set of all people who must have Windows 7 (I think we can safely ignore Win8)? Are fast and perfectly usable CPUs available that still work with Win7? Is there any danger that in the next 3 years this will cease to be the case?

I have a hard time getting excited about this. Seriously, what percentage of the market is filled by the intersection of the set of all people who must have the very latest processor and the set of all people who must have Windows 7 (I think we can safely ignore Win8)? Are fast and perfectly usable CPUs available that still work with Win7? Is there any danger that in the next 3 years this will cease to be the case?
If that is so true then why go out of the way to block it? More people must be downgrading systems then you think or Microsoft wouldn't spend the effort to punish them for it.

If that is so true then why go out of the way to block it? More people must be downgrading systems then you think or Microsoft wouldn't spend the effort to punish them for it.

Or, a more convincing argument would be what Microsoft said in January of 2016:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...acing-silicon-innovation/#b61RpepcF0hJ0aRZ.97
  • Windows 7 will continue to be supported for security, reliability, and compatibility through January 14, 2020 on previous generation silicon. Windows 8.1 will receive the same support through January 10, 2023. This includes most of the devices available for purchase today by consumers or enterprises.
  • Going forward, as new silicon generations are introduced, they will require the latest Windows platform at that time for support. This enables us to focus on deep integration between Windows and the silicon, while maintaining maximum reliability and compatibility with previous generations of platform and silicon. For example, Windows 10 will be the only supported Windows platform on Intel’s upcoming “Kaby Lake” silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming “8996” silicon, and AMD’s upcoming “Bristol Ridge” silicon.

We knew this was coming. It's not a big surprise. It's not a reaction to a market force, it was planned over a year ago.

This gets a 'ho-hum, who cares' from me. Windows 7 is 8 years old now. 8 years. It's a dinosaur in computing terms.

Windows 95 had support yanked in 2001 - that's 6 years.
Windows 98 had support yanked in 2006 after a 2 year extension - that's 8 years
Windows 2000 had a 10 year run due to being server tech.
Windows XP had the longest run even though it was supposed to be killed far earlier that originally stated. 12 years (Should have been 2010, or 8 years)

etc, etc, etc

I need everyone to look at the Windows lifecycle fact sheet and acknowledge that NO OTHER COMPANY is expected to provide indefinite updates, patches and support at what amounts to 'free'. Why is MS the exception to the capitalist rule? MS has even extended support for most of their operating systems in the past, far beyond their STATED EOL.

Where is the outrage for the non-supported OSX lion? - 2011 to 2014
Mountain Lion - 2012 to 2016
Mavericks - 2013 to 2016

In fact, where is the official EOL's for Mac OS's? Oh! they don't even let you know.

The only reason that Windows 7 is going to be "hard to get rid of" is the same reason that Windows XP was hard... businesses don't care and will ride it out until the last possible second. Many businesses just invested in Windows 7 3 years ago to get off XP.

Ho hum. Get off my lawn!

I need everyone to look at the Windows lifecycle fact sheet and acknowledge that NO OTHER COMPANY is expected to provide indefinite updates, patches and support at what amounts to 'free'.
Yes, and they promised support until 2020 and suddenly NOW they are screwing with it. For no valid reason. I'm not going to cry a river for M$. They made that bed. They need to sleep in it. Now, hardware support is the venue of the PC maker NOT Microsoft. If INTEL or DELL doesn't wish to support, with drivers, the new hardware that is their call. But there is NO valid reason that Microsoft needs to withhold stated support except for the fact that they have no ethics. As shown by the Malware based forced you to upgrade GWX. This is in the same vein. Microsoft being deceptive.
The only reason that Windows 7 is going to be "hard to get rid of" is the same reason that Windows XP was hard... businesses don't care and will ride it out until the last possible second. Many businesses just invested in Windows 7 3 years ago to get off XP.
And that isn't valid? If you are big corporation having ONE base OS is easier to maintain. Now sometimes you have a PC that goes belly up and you need to buy a new one off of your purchase schedule. But you don't need the training or software compatibility issues that a mix of OSes brings.

Bill Gates alone has topped the Forbes rich list for 18 of the past 23 years. Evidently they are making enough money which makes it that little bit more galling when their clients and a large part of the IT support ecosystem is forced to re-learn/pay more/work around their crappy licence changes. 98% of businesses are small businesses so MS decide to bin Small Business Server.

A ten year commitment to producing patches is perhaps the best thing we can cling to as MS resellers to mall businesses.

I'll be happy when a cataclysmic IT industry event leaves Microsoft having to compete. Having to simplify.

Yes, and they promised support until 2020 and suddenly NOW they are screwing with it. For no valid reason.

No, they are not. And no, it is not sudden. You conveniently leave out this page:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...acing-silicon-innovation/#Mk8VFY7Xd5OUBH1Y.97

... in which Microsoft announced over a year ago this was going to happen. That is not my definition of "suddenly".

Microsoft officially stopped selling Windows 7 Home in 2013 for retail and 2014 for OEM's.
Microsoft officially stopped selling Windows 7 Pro in 2013 and OEM's in 2016 - only after a 1-year warning/extension from MS to OEM's to stop selling Windows 7 Pro to businesses.

Point being, as a consumer you shouldn't even have a Skylake with a Windows 7 install as the sales EOL AND product EOL for Windows 7 already came and went before Skylake was released. If you didn't know that and still bought a copy of 7 from Amazon, well, that sounds like an uninformed decision and one that Microsoft has warned against to consumers and OEM's. Sorry you weren't paying attention.

Now, hardware support is the venue of the PC maker NOT Microsoft. If INTEL or DELL doesn't wish to support, with drivers, the new hardware that is their call.

Incorrect. First, PC makers do not make the drivers. They package drivers from hardware manufacturers into 'branded' installers. Also, Microsoft actually has the final say in whether a driver is certified/compatible and subsequently signed as a genuine device driver (WHQL) or not. So, you see, you are entirely incorrect.
Windows Hardware Certification Kit User's Guide
Windows Hardware Certification Program
Signing a Driver for Public Release

In fact, Windows HCK 2.0 was the last version that supported Windows 7 and the Microsoft WHQL labs have stopped certifying new Windows 7 drivers (Almost a year ago, limited exceptions during that time due to MS extending support past their original EOL) HCK 2.1 is the current version and supports 8.1 and up only.

But there is NO valid reason that Microsoft needs to withhold stated support except for the fact that they have no ethics. As shown by the Malware based forced you to upgrade GWX. This is in the same vein. Microsoft being deceptive.

You mean, besides the fact that this was announced over a year ago after a 2-year support extension at their cost? I fail to see the deception.
GWX is another matter altogether and is a straw-man argument here, albeit, I will concede that was deceptive.

Please, spare me the manufactured outrage. Tell you what, don't be surprised when Windows 8/8.1 mainstream support ends next year or Windows 10 in 2020.. your outrage could have been avoided by looking here:
Windows lifecycle fact sheet:
  • Mainstream support. Microsoft will offer mainstream support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product's general availability.
  • Extended support. Microsoft will offer extended support for a minimum of 5 years from the date of a product's general availability.
Yes, MS can end both Mainstream and Extended support on the same day, 5 years after release, if they wish.

SO, DON'T BUY WINDOWS UNLESS YOU AGREE THAT MS ONLY HAS TO OFFER YOU 5 YEARS OF SUPPORT. (PERIOD) - as stated by Microsoft... for years and years and years - this isn't new. That's still better than the competition (Apple & Linux), consequently, as far as longevity of use and support is concerned.

A ten year commitment to producing patches is perhaps the best thing we can cling to as MS resellers to mall businesses.

If you're promising that to your customers then you are over stating Microsoft's own support terms for prior OS's. It wasn't until Windows 10 that they "promised" 10 years of support. Notice that they "Promise" and don't write that on their EOL website. Past OS's have had somewhat less or more support than 10 years even though stated support for said OS's was at a 'contractual/stated' minimum of 5 years and a possible max of 10 years - at MS's discretion.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-commits-to-10-year-support-lifecycle-for-windows-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14085

The Microsoft Business, Developer and Desktop Operating System Policy applies to most products currently available through retail purchase or volume licensing and offers a minimum of:

• Ten years of support (a minimum of five years Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years Extended Support) at the supported service pack level for business, developer, and desktop operating system products
That says 10 years. Which matches what their Product life cycle table says. I really don't care that they said a year ago that they didn't plan to do it. It is contradicting the policy they have published. Also only about 1/10th of all drivers are WHCP. Plenty of companies produce drivers that have not been certified. And if Microsoft finds a non-certified driver is insecure they are free to block it. And the few times that hardware drivers have had security issues it also has been the hardware maker who fixes it.

The premises that Microsoft is somehow saving money by not supporting new hardware is full of crap because this policy doesn't affect old hardware that will get the same patches. And there is already talk, in this thread, of registry hacks that will allow the patches to be installed anyway. So if they can be and they will work then why block it other than a bogus reason to force end users to go to Windows 10. And here is the other POS part of this deal. If you purchase the extended support hotfixes, you get the block patches anyway.

Back