Microsoft force upgrading Windows 10 1903 devices to 1909

Porthos

Reaction score
Microsoft will soon start force upgrading Windows 10 1903 to Windows 10 1909 to keep them protected from security threats after this Windows version reaches its end of service next month.

Microsoft stops offering technical support, bug and security fixes for newly discovered issues and vulnerabilities for all products that reach their end of service.

Clients who still use such software are recommended to upgrade as soon as possible to the latest product versions to keep their systems secure from attacks and bug-free.

"All editions of Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows 10 Server, version 1903 will reach end of service on December 8, 2020," Microsoft explains on the Windows 10 Message Center.

After that date, computers running editions of Windows that are no longer serviced will no longer receive quality or security updates with protections from the latest security threats.

As well they should. If it's possible to force upgrade away from a very soon to be out of support version of Windows 10, it should happen automatically.

But I wonder, really, how many this will actually happen for, as I haven't seen a machine that has a functioning Windows Update running that hasn't gotten off of 1903 long ago unless the machine's owner has done something to block/break Windows Update itself.

I can't remember, but was it 1909 or 2004 where, for all practical intents and purposes, forced updates except in EOL situations such as this became a thing of the past? Now a feature update won't install, even under Home, unless the user activates the Download and install link in the Windows Update pane or elects to use USB media, the ISO file, or the Update Assistant on the Windows 10 Download Page to trigger it. I don't think the Download and install style made its debut until after 1903.

Yeah... so we have about 130 computers still running 1903 and maybe 25% of those are working from home :oops:

Not unexpected, but it's going to be a busy month.

Back