Matching Windows 7 Product Key with Correct Version

DrEtnof

Reaction score
I've been struggling with a customer's laptop & am at the point where I feel I need to reinstall the O/S. Unfortunately, I am now unable to access the drive. I've tried UBCD4Win as well as various keyreaders, etc., but can't find any information out regarding what version of windows she has. The drive is basically dead...even after the 'freeze' method!

The product key sticker on the bottom has the key itself visible, but the version is totally unreadable. The only reason why I even know it's windows 7 is because of the little sticker next to the touchpad!

So at this point, I have no idea if it's 32 or 64 bit, starter, premium, ultimate, pro...nothing but the key!
(oh, & if anybody can explain WHY those keys always seem to rub off either the key itself OR the version!!!) Probably a MS scam to get you to buy another 1!

WOW! IT WORKED & FAST! I like to learn as I go, learning on the job, but man, this forum was a much better way to go about it. Why beat my head on the wall.

Now I just have to figure out how to get all versions of various operating systems. I read in 1 Technibble email of that ei.cfg Removal Utility that unlocks 7 to show all versions. Also, I recently read a Technibble article on MAPS. Seems like for every 1 thing you learn, there's 2 more things waiting to be figured out.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but I've got to make a living!

Thanks again,

Now I just have to figure out how to get all versions of various operating systems.

Have a look at Technet from MS.

All versions of windows products (in iso format). Together with 2 keys. These keys are NOT for client use though. They are only for testing of the products within your own environment.

Then you will want to look into manufacturer iso's, ie the Dells, Hp, Acer's of this world.

These are a godsend, especially for XP machines. Not so much vista and 7, as they are pretty much the same, one disc fit all kind of scenario.

ei.cfg Tool explanation

Hey! There was a Technibble Repair Tool of the Week called: "ei-cfg-removal-utility-repair-tool-of-the-week"..(Don't think I can post links yet). Windows 7 needs a separate disk for each version. The only difference between each DVD is a small 51 byte configuration file called ei.cfg which tells the installer what version disc it is. If you were to turn your DVD into an ISO, remove this ei.cfg file and write it back to a DVD, that DVD would become a Universal DVD. ei.cfg Removal Utility will make this easy for you. Create an ISO with your Win7 disk, run the tool, reburn the ISO back to DVD.

When used on an original Windows 7 ISO image, this utility will disable the
ei.cfg file, thus converting a disc image into a "universal" disc image.

Basically it allows you to make a Windows 7 disk which will let you install any version, just like Vista allowed. All perfectly legal and simple to do.

Thanks for that. I have just realised that I already have a 21-1 win 7 iso, and the xp 9-1.
The only one I am missing is a vista, but using the efi patch, i'm sure I could utilise it into a catch all iso.

Don't think it works on Vista. Vista is already an AIO to begin with. You will need 2 discs though for 7, 1 for 32 bit & 1 for 64 bit systems.

Thank you

Thanks for information about cfg-removal-utility, I've been carrying around all disks for different versions.:eek:

I have a Win 7 AIO disc with 32 and 64 bit versions on it. In the list it lists all versions as X86 then lower in the list it shows the X64 versions. I didn't make the disc so not sure how to incorporate both, but it is possible.

I see that was in reference for Vista, but either way this might help someone.

If U already have an AIO with all 32 & 64 bit options, then U wouldn't need to run the ei.cfg file. Your disc was probably something someone else put together (slipstreamed?) & offered it as a torrent download or something.

Yes, I did download it as a torrent and am aware of how to remove the ei.cfg. I was just saying it is possible to have 32 and 64 bit versions on the same disk, so you don't have to carry two Win7 disks. Personally I do most of my installs from a multi-boot USB drive I made using SARDU. As far as how to combine both versions I don't know the process though. I have used nLite and vLite before to slipstream service packs, but I don't remember if the option to slipstream a different architecture platform, not to say it isn't an option. I would however like to figure out how to make an AIO XP disc for when I can't boot from my USB drive.

Last edited:
I don't know how to combine them. I did have an AIO that had both 32 & 64 bit on 1 disk. I think it was cracked though, so I wasn't interested in it. But even with a cracked version, they usually still give U the option to enter your own key. When that key doesn't work, I'll install w/o a key, then go to activate & enter a key then.
The only way I know of getting a combo on 1 disc is to search & download 1 already created, since I haven't made 1 myself.

Back