Mandatory Windows 10 update causing DNS and shared folder issues

This whole article is the QED of my frequently made contention that most issues are idiosyncratic to the machines where they occur and not global bugs. And idiosyncratic for the same reason, on hundreds or thousands of machines using the same software or having made the same tweaks of other sorts, is still idiosyncratic.

As far as I'm concerned, and this is unusual for BleepingComputer, even the article title is misleading as it's pretty darned clear exactly who is affected. It would be far more helpful if Dentrix users were actually mentioned in the article title, for starters.

Reactions: GTP
If you're in a business environment, and your IT guy hasn't configured your crap to use DNS correctly, and then configured DNS to handle this work load as has been required since WINDOWS 2000...

It's time, for a new IT guy.

We're long past the time where everyone on this forum, and all like it understood how DNS works, and deploys it correctly. Because I guarantee you, 100% of the problems in that article boil down to poorly configured and maintained DNS.

We're long past the time where everyone on this forum, and all like it understood how DNS works, and deploys it correctly.

If that's something they do. Not everyone on this forum does, or ever will.

And you do have to consider that when a major vendor for software a given office must use has their tech support tell you to do thus and such to remedy an issue, the usual response is not to argue back, but to do it.

I literally just sent the following to someone asking about rules for an emailing group, and although aimed at end users it applies every bit as much to techs who are consulting technical support themselves:

It is impossible to help individuals who will not listen to advice unless they like that advice. Being a good assistant is not about making the person assisted "feel good," but about both asking the right (and sometimes hard) questions as well as giving the information necessary to achieve the desired result. Getting help is a two-way street, and those asking for help have work they must do, too, when asked. They also need to be ready to let go of what they'd like to do, and instead do what's been asked for by the person offering assistance.

Those receiving assistance are free to reject advice, you are also entitled to ask for clarification, but if you don’t want to do what your assistant is asking, then state that so that you can both can move along. Assistants have every right to assist as they see fit, and those being assisted to either follow or reject the option(s) presented. An assistant is within their rights to withdraw support at any time, for any reason.

If I am on the "providing support" end of a call and you refuse to do as I ask, that call is over.

This whole article is the QED of my frequently made contention that most issues are idiosyncratic to the machines where they occur and not global bugs. And idiosyncratic for the same reason, on hundreds or thousands of machines using the same software or having made the same tweaks of other sorts, is still idiosyncratic.
This ^^^
The myriad combinations of software/harware in existence means that someone somewhere is going to have a bad day after a Windows Update whether DNS is correctly configured or not.
Throw businesses using residential grade modems into the mix along with "Happy Valley Apple Blossom Sunshine Rainbow Company Of Taiwan" switches and the problem escalates very quickly.

This whole article is the QED of my frequently made contention that most issues are idiosyncratic to the machines where they occur and not global bugs. And idiosyncratic for the same reason, on hundreds or thousands of machines using the same software or having made the same tweaks of other sorts, is still idiosyncratic
I agree completely.

Back