MacBook Air 2018 - Alleged erratic cursor

Rigo

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I had replaced the keyboard about a year ago on the unit.
Customer now says experiencing an erratic pointer whilst using either the trackpad or an external mouse. Cursor jumps around and clicks on things by itself making user click on unintentional items.
I just haven't been able to reproduce the problem, even now the second time they've returned it for another look at the cursor problem.
I've got about 6 word docs open + powerpoint file + multiple tabs in chrome and safari + youtube playing music, usb hdd plugged into a usb hub.
Can't reproduce the problem. The laptop is totally normal to me with trackpad and external mouse.
They say the problem just happens whilst using the laptop.
I can't assess a problem I can't reproduce.
Any input highly appreciated.

To borrow a phrase. A film is worth a thousand words. Also what else do they have plugged into the USB. I'd get an accurate date and time as well and then look at the logs. Also have them try booting into safe.

try to see if the trackpad flex cable has damage ou liquid damage, check the connector on the trackpad also for liquid damage.
Thanks mate,
Checked, all good. At least visually couldn't detect anything abnormal.
Puzzling thing I've used for at least 2 days without experiencing anything abnormal.
To borrow a phrase. A film is worth a thousand words. Also what else do they have plugged into the USB. I'd get an accurate date and time as well and then look at the logs. Also have them try booting into safe.
Thanks Mark,
I've accessed the logs but not really familiar with the Mac version vs event viewer of Windows 🤔
Some pointers in the direction of the symptoms as described would be very handy please.

Did they also give you the external mouse? Low batteries or defective mouse can trigger all sorts of issues.

Also, battery isn't swelling or touching trackpad? Some models when battery starts to fail it slightly pushes up against trackpad causing issues.

Did they also give you the external mouse? Low batteries or defective mouse can trigger all sorts of issues.
Wired mouse. I got them to bring me the usb hub and the mouse they're using. No problem found. They're using OneDrive so no usb drive.
No printer installed either, usb or wless
Also, battery isn't swelling or touching trackpad? Some models when battery starts to fail it slightly pushes up against trackpad causing issues.
Battery is looking alright, no detectable swelling

Thanks Mark,
I've accessed the logs but not really familiar with the Mac version vs event viewer of Windows 🤔
Some pointers in the direction of the symptoms as described would be very handy please.
Can't provide anything specific unfortunately. I'd have to see log from when it works and then when it's acting up. Is the flex cable for the mouse separate from the KB? If so I'd leave it unplugged and use the external mouse to see if it replicates.

I had the customer come over to demo what they called 'erratic' cursor.
It turns out the problem only occurred (lagging) whilst trying to fast scroll using the trackpad a 200 or so page pdf document and nowhere else.
Slightly slowing down on command inputs didn't produce the problem.
Using an external mouse was also fine.
Problem solved.

I had the customer come over to demo what they called 'erratic' cursor.
It turns out the problem only occurred (lagging) whilst trying to fast scroll using the trackpad a 200 or so page pdf document and nowhere else.
Slightly slowing down on command inputs didn't produce the problem.
Using an external mouse was also fine.
Problem solved.
LOL!!! I'm not at all surprised. How much RAM? Most people buy them with 8gb which is not enough for heavy use like fast scrolling hundreds of pages of a doc.

How much RAM? Most people buy them with 8gb
Exactly!
And 128GB SSD, I had shift out and return a good chunk of data in order to be able upgrade to Monterey from High Sierra.
People buy on price not on specs and with no idea of future needs from brand new.
Definitely not a high performance lapy :)

Back