Lost Windows Password

Velvis

Reaction score
A client called me and they said they forgot the password of an old laptop they havent turned on in a while.

Is there way to recover it or unlock it?

If you're a Microsoft partner, and get Action Pack or similar, then you'll have access to download the "Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack" which includes the Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset. Create DaRT boot media for the applicable version of Windows, and use the Locksmith option to reset passwords.

If it's an XP machine, you'd need to have an older version of DOP on hand, as support for XP was removed from recent releases. A 3rd party tool might be your best option in this case.

Last edited:
I use the Lazesoft suite. Boot Lazesoft - couple of clicks - reboot into windows with no password. Can't be much easier or quicker.

...and I've been using the Win10 one-click boot reset lately with all the borked Win10 machines. I should look at the details but it works so well I haven't bothered.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up!

The Professional version is 55% off. (For a limited time only)

I'll use this for win8 & 10 UEFI systems.

I recently got the Lazesoft Pro Recovery suite. Finally having a password removal tool that is UEFI bootable is pure joy when you no longer have to mess with bios & secure boot anymore.

I bought Lazesoft Recovery Pro, had a few issues that cost me more time than It needed to.
Asked for and received a refund.

Back