Lenovo Y50-70 motherboard, doesn't power up no matter what.

Nubuddy

Reaction score
Hello!

Problem: Lenovo Y50-70 motherboard (ZIVY2 LA-B111P), doesn't power up no matter what.

What I have checked/tried: Another power adapter, removing everything external except the power button and a fan.

Since the laptop didn't power on at all i figured there was a short somewhere. I found a chip (I couldn't find out what it does) which starts to burn up really hard right after the power adapter is plugged into the motherboard (The picture couldn't been uploaded to here so i uploaded it to google drive, I added a red box to point out the chip).

Waiting for a response,
Nubud

It's an inductor. The schematic linked below says it's a PH041H-1R0MS, which is an RF power splitter. It might be shorted, or the short may be downstream and pulling way too much current through it. Either way, it may not be the board's only problem. I would lean toward replacing the motherboard.

The big green button on that page links to this schematic:

PL301 is a filter inductor on the B+ bus, so there's a short on that bus. It'll be a challenge to track down the shorted component if you don't have a thermal imager. You can feel around other over-heated components and use IPA or freeze spray if you don't have an imager but it will be difficult.

Thanks, I was hoping i would have been an easy chip swap soldering, but i guess i should just swap out the motherboard.

Back