Laptop shuts off after 1 minute

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. I'm working on a Sony Vaio laptop model PCG-61A14L. The problem I'm facing is that the laptop turns itself off after about 1 minute after powering on. I've tried booting with the AC power connected and disconnected, and with and without the battery. Also tried booting a PE environment from USB and Memtest86+ from CD. All of them fail at about 1 minute, so I'm pretty sure this is hardware-related, and probably heat related.

I removed the hard drive and imaged it with no problems, so I don't think it's the HDD.

Memtest86+ V5.0.1 shows a CPU temp of 50 degrees Celsius right before the system turns off. From what I can find on the web, the max operating temp of the i3-2310M CPU is 85 degrees Celsius, so I don't think that CPU overheating is the problem. (If I can trust what memtest is telling me and the article I found on the web is correct...).

I'm not a hardware guru, so I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo!

Harry Z.

If it feels unusually hot, then it's probably heat related. Strip it down, clean the cooling fins and fan, replace the thermal compound, and try it again. It doesn't take long to do once you get started and based on your description that's likely the problem.

EDIT: I say "feels" hot because I don't use anything like Memtest to check the temps on routine overheating situations like this seems to be. If it's not routine, I use an infrared thermometer to check the temps directly rather than trust software to tell me.

I've had this happen to me on a personal level. Thought it was the battery, nope - just overheating. The above posts will help you resolve.

Since memtest is failing (stopping), also might want to swap in some known good ram.
Though it still sounds like an overheat issue, this is a quick check, just to rule it out.

Thank you all for your responses. Customer is deciding if she wants to put any money into this (old) laptop or just transfer her data to her desktop. If she decides to proceed with the laptop, I will update with results.

Harry Z.

Back