Laptop Repair - Test a Webcam

PaulTech

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is a great way to test a Webcam either after replacing a screen or determining if the Webcam is a Windows OS issue or a Hardware issue or just o check if it is working;

Boot into Linux. I recommend the Yumi tool already highlighted on Technibble and I use either the Ubuntu 10 or 12.04 versions. Once booted open a terminal window like this:

1. ctrl+alt+T > Terminal Window
2. Type in "gstreamer-properties" (no quotes!)
3. Click the video tab.
4. Choose the Device: webcam.
5. Press: TEST and the picture should appear.

Great way to determine if it is an OS or hardware issue.

Hi,

Here is a great way to test a Webcam either after replacing a screen or determining if the Webcam is a Windows OS issue or a Hardware issue or just o check if it is working;

Boot into Linux. I recommend the Yumi tool already highlighted on Technibble and I use either the Ubuntu 10 or 12.04 versions. Once booted open a terminal window like this:

1. ctrl+alt+T > Terminal Window
2. Type in "gstreamer-properties" (no quotes!)
3. Click the video tab.
4. Choose the Device: webcam.
5. Press: TEST and the picture should appear.

Great way to determine if it is an OS or hardware issue.

Good Idea but its not always the case. Remember not every webcam is supported in linux. Also, Drivers are at various levels of development. You will also have to research if the webcam is supported in linux first before doing this. Should the cam not work in linux how do you know if its 1. Not supported, 2. Has a driver flaw, 3. Is not supported in the flavor of linux your running?

Best way to test a web cam is just use the OS it was meant for with the latest drivers from the manufactures website.

Case in point - Some logitech web cams had a flaw that produced a clicking noise (built in mic) and was only heard from the other parties side of the conversation. Windows driver got around this by the use of a software filter to filter it out. Linux didnt have this filter and thus you might be lead into thinking that something is wrong hardware wise. Also some linux drivers for cams would produce incorrect color levels - Skin color looked greenish or blueish. This was caused by a change in gstreamer that was not caught right away. Here is an example of that:

This is a frame shot of a similar problem caused by a gstreamer change in color handling.
bluescreen1_zpsdf4c1da8.jpg

Best Regards,

coffee

Thanks for the feedback. It's not a definitive test. If it works you know the Webcam is fine. D7 has a hardware test for the Webcam once you reboot the computer.

Using linux to test the webcam isnt a bad idea. I didnt want to lead you to believe that. What you could do is fire up a live cd of linux and install the program "cheese". Then test the webcam.

I would also look at the logs in /var/log/messages and see what it says about the camera. Alot of times if the camera is screwing up it will show some errors in the log file.

:)

Back