Laptop Repair Label, Void if Removed Label

CompTech

Reaction score
When I repair a desktop I place a security label "void if removed" on the outside of the tower (where lid connects to case). Wondering what you suggest to place on a Laptop to secure the repair warranty? Any good spot on the laptop recommended. Thanks for suggestions!

The only reason I was asking was if a customer calls back and claims something was missing or disconnected in their computer. If there's a sticker you can prove that they opened it up and might have changed things. This is not about a legal issue.

I don't think such a label would prevent the owner from opening or using the device; it would just serve to say that you void your warranty if they do. Whether that would mean squat in a court of law, I have no idea. However, I think the whole idea is a bad idea. If I were the customer, it would say that you don't trust me and are appearing to restrict what I do with my equipment. Saying that to all of your customers because of the possible need for a very few, seems more likely to harm you than help.

The only time I can see this being of benefit to you is when you get one of those pain in the a$$ clients who insist on messing with the computer themselves (it's usually a young guy with a custom build that doesn't want to pay any money). I had one client who I sold a gaming computer to and he installed a water damaged graphics card and blew up the motherboard. Then the idiot expected me to fix it for free!

Of course, these types of clients would just ignore the warranty void if removed sticker and/or heat it up with a hair dryer to try and make it look like it hadn't been tampered with. In the end the only thing that matters is a customer's opinion of you and your business, and I don't see warranty stickers as conducive to fostering a trusting relationship with your clients.

You can't void a warranty because a label was removed. However you can use a tamper proof label to prove it's been opened. But then you need proof of what it was like when you received it and what it was like when the customer took possesion.

Just wanted to mention I used to be pretty wary of both people I bought from and people I sold to, but over time I found that it really was a small percentage of people that will be dishonest

Back