It's Been 9 Years!

Can you really buy a 1 TB Samsung one for $199 from BB
thought they cost a lot more
nearly bought a 1 TB Sandisk SSD last week for $180 but it was from Craig's list
I have always used Samsung

Yes, you really can, tough I don't know why you would pay that when the equivalent SanDisk Drive on-sale is $139 and is just as fast made with the same Micron NAND flash. It's also a major name brand and has a five (5) year warranty.

I am certainly perfectly happy with it. My PC boots in like 4 seconds now.

Because size matters...

No regrets it’s so much faster. To get more out of it I probably need a new motherboard. It also has a 5 year warranty, which is the minimum amount of use I expect to get out of it. Realistically I will probably run it 7 to 10 years and half way through it will find itself in a new motherboard.

I don't think you do.... you have SATA III from the sounds of the first post. That's a SATA III drive. An upgrade won't make any difference. You have a bus rated at the full speed of the drive already.

In "normal use" scenarios I think a lot of decent quality SSD's will last quite a long time. I think 10 years isn't a stretch for all but the cheapest units, using "so so" parts. I don't know how much that goes on, but you have to figure the units that just don't make the cut for a Samsung device have to end up somewhere and it likely isn't the scrap heap.

I don't think you do.... you have SATA III from the sounds of the first post. That's a SATA III drive. An upgrade won't make any difference. You have a bus rated at the full speed of the drive already.

In "normal use" scenarios I think a lot of decent quality SSD's will last quite a long time. I think 10 years isn't a stretch for all but the cheapest units, using "so so" parts. I don't know how much that goes on, but you have to figure the units that just don't make the cut for a Samsung device have to end up somewhere and it likely isn't the scrap heap.

Yeah, but I don't think they end up in SanDisk drives, either. My guess is that Corsair, Samsung, SanDisk etc. all source higher quality flash.

No probably not. Probably more like the names you haven't really heard of.

I just ordered two "Inland" pro drives off Amazon for my current needs. Good price, and apparently it can be a bit of a lottery as to waht you actually get for a drive. I don't "love" that... but the 120GB ADATA SSD's would have taken till next week to get here.

Neither drives are going into mission critical usage, and I'll have backups of both machines. I'm curious to see how they perform / hold up. Can't beat it at $25 a pop shipped.

I bought a used Studio XPS laptop 11 years ago with Vista I immediately installed Win 7 I have used it every day as my main computer
and never had to do a re-install this is a testament to the stability of Win 7
If it was XP or any other would have had a clean install every year, with Win 10 you get a forced install all the time.

I try to do a refresh every year.

I always tell myself I won't install all types of junk on my main PC and will use my test PCs but that never happens.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
thats why I have a win 10 vmware machine on my personal, I can't resist experimenting!

Back