Issues with Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Install

Archon Prime

Reaction score
I've been trying everything I could think of to get this patch installed on a Windows 10 Pro machine. I've seen some stuff online but nothing has really helped. Some of it seems a little extreme which is editing registry values, etc.

And since I can't just simply "hide" the update, it's forcing the user to install it and it continuously fails.

Anyone have any idea why this specific Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3200970) is having issues installing? It's just ending in an error that it couldn't install.

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3200970) - Error 0x80070005

I've attempted to install the update from the catalogue manually.. 3 hours later the damn thing was still preparing installation.

So I've done what I normally do with that error, following https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003
Ran the file and it did it's thing. Still the same problem.

Prior to this rand sfc /scannow , etc. Cleaned registry, tossed the windows updates "cache" folder to start from scratch, even ran the windows troubleshooter which basically does the same thing but figured, hell, why not.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Capture.PNG

I would check the HDD/SSD SMART status (e.g. with Crystal Disk Info), and possibly even test the HDD with a full surface scan (e.g. with Seatools long test) just to be sure.

Otherwise you could do a repair-install of Windows 10. This is simply running the setup from Windows 10 v1607 install media and choosing to keep user data and apps. In other words, exactly like an in-place upgrade to the latest OS, even though the latest version is already installed.

I've used this repair-install a few times to fix OS issues that might have taken hours of research and fiddling, it worked each time. Still takes an hour or so, but it's mostly unattended.

Thanks for the help guys. It's a work machine. never had malware or anything suspicious. very bare bones except what they use for software. I tried the Microsoft version of the registry/file permission repairs as well. (creating a bat file and executing as admin) Didn't work too well. I'll most likely do the repair install when it's not a crucial time.

I'm a little hesitant with this tool. Have you used this quite frequently?

Back