Is this an ethical thing to do...

3-6 months ago I was trying to set up a Web Server for OwnCloud (Basically, self hosting dropbox). I wasn't able to get it to work unless I used another port. This was all experiemental, and I know I wasn't going to go with dropboxalternative.com:####. I knew at that time that if I wanted to do it that way that I would have to get a Business Account or host it somewhere else.

Her company only operates on 993 (IMAP) and 25 (SMTP) for email. I was talking to them today about it, and they said "we hear this all the time, but we don't know how to do it, and we aren't interested in doing it as only a few of our employees have this issue."

When I told them I could do it remotely, they said no. Understandable, I'm just some guy in their eyes.

Honestly, it's in my clients hands as to how she wants to do it. There is nothing I can do. I could fly to Florida and force their hand, but I already went on vacation and things went to hell while I was gone. I replaced her router, because originally that was the issue (at 5 feet away, it showed up as -95db, and at 1 foot it was -87dB). She has a mac bookair, no ethernet port obviously, so it was just easier to replace the dying router.

vpn or proxy

There are several inexpensive proxy and vpn services, just set her up with one of those and your problem is solved. lol pretend you're in Iran or China

Her company only operates on 993 (IMAP) and 25 (SMTP) for email. I was talking to them today about it, and they said "we hear this all the time, but we don't know how to do it, and we aren't interested in doing it as only a few of our employees have this issue."

When I told them I could do it remotely, they said no. Understandable, I'm just some guy in their eyes.

Honestly, it's in my clients hands as to how she wants to do it. There is nothing I can do. I could fly to Florida and force their hand, but I already went on vacation and things went to hell while I was gone. I replaced her router, because originally that was the issue (at 5 feet away, it showed up as -95db, and at 1 foot it was -87dB). She has a mac bookair, no ethernet port obviously, so it was just easier to replace the dying router.

Geez. 10 seconds on Google and you have the instructions on how to do it. Biggest issues is re-configuring the firewall which is probably what they are really ignorant about or perhaps don't have full control over.

I'd ask to go over there heads. Likely management is totally ignorant of the demands the end users are making and have no clue that they have hired people that are ignorant of their jobs.

Back