Is there a way to create a teams user group?

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I have a client who owns a law firm and I've basically setup a separate team for each one of his clients mainly for assigning certain people in his organization to those certain client teams if that is the client that particular lawyer is assigned to.

This way everything stays nice and quick and we don't have a single dumping ground for data we have individual channels.

He hired an "Executive Assistant" whose main job is going to be scanning documents into the synced channel folders. She will need access to all the same channel folders he does.

Essentially the owner and the assistant will always have the same team permissions whereas laywer A may only have access to a couple of teams, and lawyer B may only have access to a couple of teams.

Is there a way to create a group in teams and call it something like "Admins" and then add the main lawyer and his assistant to the "Admins" group, then just give that group permissions to teams so that I don't have to manually add him AND her to any new team I make?

I may be out of the loop of any recent changes, but no nesting was a limitation of Microsoft 365 Groups (what a Team is) when I worked with them.

Then the proposed solution for those kinds of issues was to use dynamic group members. That is you can choose some kind of attribute of a user to determine whether or not they would be included in a Microsoft 365 Group. I've never used it, so I can tell you if there would be any gotcha's for why you can't use it here. (for example, if you can't have a M365 Group with both direct assigned members and dynamic) What I can tell you though is that people being assigned via dynamic membership are supposed to have AAD P1 licences.

I have a client who owns a law firm and I've basically setup a separate team for each one of his clients mainly for assigning certain people in his organization to those certain client teams if that is the client that particular lawyer is assigned to.

This way everything stays nice and quick and we don't have a single dumping ground for data we have individual channels.

He hired an "Executive Assistant" whose main job is going to be scanning documents into the synced channel folders. She will need access to all the same channel folders he does.

Essentially the owner and the assistant will always have the same team permissions whereas laywer A may only have access to a couple of teams, and lawyer B may only have access to a couple of teams.

Is there a way to create a group in teams and call it something like "Admins" and then add the main lawyer and his assistant to the "Admins" group, then just give that group permissions to teams so that I don't have to manually add him AND her to any new team I make?
I don’t see how you need dynamic groups. Users can be assigned to more than one group. And just like on file sharing on servers the best practice is to assign rights and permissions to groups not users. You then assign the group to the folders as needed. Lawyer A can be one group and he and his assistants or paralegals can be assigned to his folders. Same with B. The owner can have his own group and be assigned to every folder.

I've seen talk 'n chatter about Teams being able to leverage AzureAD security groups within its membership, but pretty sure the feature has not been added yet. Found an article of three on some powershell "tricks" to make it work but I won't try those on clients tenants (nor mine). Rather wait til it's official. Yeah it would be a nice feature to have.

IMO, making a "Team" per client will be cumbersome, I've set up Teams for small law firms before, (and Teams is a great centralized hub for a law firm, well, for ANY business). There are quite a few "guides" out there on typical "law firm document structure"...many of those guides are specific to Teams...showing some optimal Teams/Channels setup. I still find that once a law firm grows up a little bit, they graduate to some of the bigger "canned" online services, like the Lex.

There are quite a few 3rd party "plug ins for Teams" that are specific to law firms that you can implement into Teams also.

Have you tried some of the power automate tools to "email scans from an MFP and save directly into a Team/Channel? Just create it like a mailbox, and while at the scanner...scan to email...select that mailbox, it sends it, and the powerautomate script will peel out the PDF or JPG or whatever..and save it in a folder in the channels document library. Pretty slick..saves some manual steps.

Back