Internet connection intermittently hangs

computerdoc

Reaction score
System is a Dell XPS m1330 running Vista Home Premium. I browse fine both in IE and Firefox and then suddenly it hangs in the middle of a browsing session. The cursor just keeps on spinning.

Clicking repair and diagnose yields no problem found. Checking the adapter status shows the sent and received as fixed with very little variation. A reboot usually repairs the problem.

What can be done to solve this problem?

System is a Dell XPS m1330 running Vista Home Premium. I browse fine both in IE and Firefox and then suddenly it hangs in the middle of a browsing session. The cursor just keeps on spinning.

Clicking repair and diagnose yields no problem found. Checking the adapter status shows the sent and received as fixed with very little variation. A reboot usually repairs the problem.

You really don't give any information in your post to make it possible to assist.

Which of the normal checks and balances have you put in place to resolve the problem?

please read the sticky
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246

--
Examples of good questions include most of the following:
- What were you trying to do?
- What have you tried already, and what happened as a result?
- What was the exact error message you received?
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
- What changes have occured on the system between the time everything was working and when you noticed the problem?

Dont let us assume, tell us right at the beginning. In return you are more likely to get the right answer quicker.

Last edited:

Common symphony for Malware/Spyware. Try malwarebytes.

Also try the browers without add-on
iexplore –extoff.

To disable all of Firefox's add-ons, you have to open the browser in its Safe Mode (not Widows Safemode).

Good Luck

The system has k9 web protection installed which I strongly suspect is causing the problem.

When the problem was active, I did an ipconfig /flushdns and a couple of tracerts which worked. I also tried to do a Malwarebytes update which failed with error code 12163.

I've upgraded the driver for the Broadcomm card to the latest version from the Broadcomm website.

I've done a ping of google.com while the browser problem was happening and it succeeded. A tracert fo google.com and another site also worked.

I did sfc /scannow twice.

The system has been upgraded to the latest windows updates and I have IE 9 without adding any add ons. I also installed a fresh copy of Firefox.

I tried browsing with k9 in executive mode which turns off its protection and this seemed to work.

Interesting, i have had nothing but good experiences with k9. Will keep in my mind for future reference thanks.

Back