Inspiron No boot device found

johnrobert

Reaction score
Put SSD in clients laptop 6 months ago, now saying No boot device found changed everything in bios also updated Bios to latest, tried known good SSD
when I put the old spinning hard drive back in it boots OK

I put in a different SSD now booting, When I connect the old SSD windows does not see the only option to format I guess it got corrupted.

I put in a different SSD now booting, When I connect the old SSD windows does not see the only option to format I guess it got corrupted.

Pretty standard SSD sudden and complete death, in my experience. Hence the reason that doing full system image backups is even more critical than it ever was when an SSD is your system drive.

BIOS might have reset from Legacy to UEFI or the other way round, would cause the OS not to boot. Are files readable on the SSD from another computer?

If the SSD is still readable, looks GOOD with Crystal Disk Info, and Windows can be reinstalled on it, then it would not appear to be a faulty drive.

That would not appear to be a viable theory given what @johnrobert has shared.
The original HDD that still boots might be legacy BIOS, but the new SSD installed under UEFI, or the other way round. Or the OS might be corrupted as John suggested.
We don't even know if the SSD is readable on another computer so I'd suggest it's too soon to declare the SSD dead.

Reactions: GTP
Things fail. Since the patient appears unformated when hooked up to a working machine it's most likely an issue with the SSD. Even if it formats I'd not put it back in. Time for a new SSD and you can use the old one for lab work.

Welcome to the world of SSDs. Sadly, end users tend to be under the impression that because they have an SSD, they need not worry about drive failure and are even more lazy when it comes to backups.

Yeap, on new systems I sell to clients. I install & configure Macrium Free on clients systems and setup to a mapped external. Incase of a problematic drive rename, as windows turns into HAL2000 at it's will after feature updates.

I do advise it is not fail safe, if data is important to them look at cloud solutions. I point the path if they follow it is up to them.

Back