If you're in the game: Spread your ears to listen

MikeLierman

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. Sherly Mirenta was my old boss in Washington state. I interned there for a couple years when I was 16. She's owned KC Computer Repair for about 5 years now and is doing exteremeely well! Here is our conversation.

Sheryl Mirenta
YOU are pretty fantastic. Finishing school early. WOW!!!! What are you up to?

April 20Michael Lierman
Well I graduated high school a year ago. Right now I'm doing a ton of advertising for my business, constantly handing out business cards and information and special deals for my computer services. How's everything for you going??!

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
Shifting gears. Doing a lot of remote tech support. Lots of eldery that can't bring their computers in. So I service them remotely. It is good. Lots of business. Lots of laughs. Miss your face there.

April 20Michael Lierman
Ahhh remote support! What do you use? LogMeIn?

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
I use Go To Assist. Easy.....Secure...Cheap Like it a lot.

April 20Michael Lierman
Are you a member of TechNibble? It's a forum for computer repair business owners, it's been fun to read some of the things that other people are posting about their experiences

Can I ask you a question? Being an entreprenuer and business owner yourself. What's the most important lesson you have learned?

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER. When they are talking.... listen to them. They will be yours forever. If you just "show" them how much you know they will have bad feelings for you. BUT if you LISTEN to them, and provide what THEY need they will always come to you. Look them in the eye and take notes.

April 20Michael Lierman
That's good advice! I have a notes section right on my work orders, I sometimes use it when they are explaining things, I could improve on that. What about when expanding? Is it better to hire people than doing everything yourself?
Right now I do everything by myself.

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
Hire to do the grunt work....coffee making...cleaning....intake. Spend your time making the improvments to the customers items, and TALK to them yourself. Go to work 2 hours early to get the work done. Spend your day talking to people. Go out in your community and help your local services AT NO CHARGE.

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
I help the local food bank. My time to them is free. If they need parts then I give it to them at my cost.
BRB

April 20Michael Lierman
Hmm that's good. I like that. I never thought about offering free services to the community. That's cool. So like the the food bank has computer stuff too? I'm a little confused on that part.

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
And be up front about your prices. Give them a package deal.... with this reinstall you will get anti virus, updates, data recovered, yada, yada, yada.... for $5000.00. They don't care. They want YOU to look after them. If you can do that then you will have them.
The food bank also does computer classes for the eldery.
Also, the main office uses computer to dotheir work.

April 20Michael Lierman
Ahhhh that's true. And when you offered your services to help them, they didn't already have someone looking after them?

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
They are a food bank. They are poor.
They are members of my community, and I use those words to them. I SUPPORT my community.

April 20Michael Lierman
Wow, that's awesome!! That's a business aspect I've never really thought of, taking care of your community, because after all, if it wasn't for your community, you wouldn't have a business.

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
YES YES YES
You a SMART young man
But most of all LISTEN to them when they are talking.

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
Don't ever do more than they ask. It overwhelms THEM. You know more about this stuff than they do.
If they ever FEEL inferior (bad spelling) to you they will leave you.
Actually, we are all equal (bad spelling again) But you know more about this stuff.
I don't know how to cook. My customers are always bringing me food. They know I don't know how to cook. LOL.
Makes THEM feel good.

April 20Michael Lierman
Hahaha. That's way cool! I read a book called Sandbox Wisdom, and you are reminding me of it. "It's about feelings. It's about how they feel. We're in the feelings business."

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
We are on the planet to help one another. Touch the people. Connect with them. They will come to you. Then you can hire people to do the reinstalls. Hire people to do the drivers. And everyone makes a living. And we touch each other.
Yes. FEELINGS are important.
I need to jot a note on that book. brb

Sheryl Mirenta
OK. I want to read it.
There is a lot in this world we can do. But touching someone is the BEST. I have a few alzhiemsers (sorry spelling) clients, and I do screen shots with detailed text to help them function. They LOVE it. I know they will not be here in a year, but they are still functional NOW. That is what is important.

April 20Michael Lierman
Hmmmm that is awesome!!! I am loving these ideas!

April 20Sheryl Mirenta
So I guess what I am trying to say is SERVE the people. Be humble. and LISTEN. You are an AWSOME young man. You can do much with your world. But don't spend all your time at the computer. Cut the grass and smell it. Take a walk and enjoy it. Talke to a neighbor and listen to them. Life is GREAT. Explore it.

It is no wonder she is successful. Sherly Mirenta is an exceptionally good business woman. It is very wise for her to view her business as a service to the community and a service to people. And listening to your clients while making eye contact is the best way to have rapport with your customer. Then you need to be a good technician, have fast service, and a fair price.

Grasshopper, you will succeed with these rules.

Good info there. Its good to read things like this again from time to time. It seems like we do this work everyday and develop certain routines and behaviors and reading stuff like this is a great way to refresh and bring more awareness to how we are interacting with our customers.

At the time I read this I thought "oh thats nice" (didnt really think it had made much of an impression).

Interestingly, I found myself reflecting today on that notion of "service" she described, and about what a powerful approach that is.

She's definitely got something worthwhile going on. It resonated with me.

Thanks for posting. It was informative.

Last edited:
Giving back to my community with my skills instead of money lead to a whole new world that I never expected to happen. In 2008 when the recession started and only one year out of the gate with CTG (and not full-time with clients so I had time to give back), I had awesome LinkedIn skills and with so many out of work, I created a workshop for the unemployed. Little did I know that it would be become so popular that the classes filled up 2x a week and then I had to request LinkedIn expert volunteers to help me with it. I made sure to give value 1.5 hours of class time and I gave every single person my business card. 9 months later, the calls started to come in. My last count, I had 460 clients from LinkedIn. --all from that one year and of course, other things I do currently, but that pro bono work I did, really kicked it off.

She is on to something, no question. I'm glad her community service has worked out well for her, probably because of her passion for it too exceeds her financial needs.

Back