IE9 won't uninstall - IE11 won't install

earguy

Reaction score
I am working on a 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 machine. My client needs IE11 installed per instructions of the company she is a franchisee. Their new customer management software needs IE11. She has IE9 currently installed. I have attempted several times to uninstall IE9, but the system keeps reverting back to the old configuration of updates whenever I reboot. I went in and changed the update settings to let me choose to download and install them thinking that it would help at reboot. It doesn't seem to help

I have scanned with HitmanPro and Malwarebytes with very little found. I performed SFC and all is well. CHKDSK found nothing. I did a clean boot and tried uninstalling ALL associated IE9 updates, but that did not help. As a result, IE11 isn't installing.

However, when I go to turn windows features on or off, IE11 is listed and with a check mark in its box. IE9 is not listed.

Is there a secret to removing IE9 so that IE11 can be installed or do I have to do a wipe and reload (which I really don't want to do). I have to get IE11 installed ASAP as I have fought this machine since Saturday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
This may not help but make sure that msconfig is starting in normal mode. Also remove any antivirus (also run any cleaner for that a/v) and be sure you can turn on, update and scan with windows defender. I had a machine that had IE 11 all screwed up and nothing would fix it. Once I did the above it was fixed. After that I could reinstall an A/V.

Thanks NYjimbo. MSCONFIG is running in normal mode. There is no AV on this computer other than Microsoft Security Essentials. Should I remove MSE?

Thanks NYjimbo. MSCONFIG is running in normal mode. There is no AV on this computer other than Microsoft Security Essentials. Should I remove MSE?
Might as well and then do the defender thing. Oddly MSSE and Defender are not the same in windows 7 but in Windows 10 they are considered to be the same.

Of course also blow out the event logs, reboot, fire up IE then kill it and then look for anything weird that might help you with
services, files, WMI/WBEM, etc.

Might as well and then do the defender thing. Oddly MSSE and Defender are not the same in windows 7 but in Windows 10 they are considered to be the same.

Of course also blow out the event logs, reboot, fire up IE then kill it and then look for anything weird that might help you with
services, files, WMI/WBEM, etc.
Jimbo, is there any chance that he needs to install IE10 before 11?

Just curious..

When you try to install IE11 whats the log file say. I apologize im at my day job and don't have the location of the log file that ie11 installation generates.

Thanks Harold. My challenge is that IE9 will not uninstall, I've tried several times. Went to MS and used their command-line command for uninstalling it and it still shows up. I tried uninstalling all updates associated with IE9 but when I restart the computer I get a message that there is a failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes. When I go to turn windows features on or off, IE11 is present and checked, but not IE9. Other than a wipe and reload, I don't know what else can be done.

Thanks Harold. My challenge is that IE9 will not uninstall, I've tried several times. Went to MS and used their command-line command for uninstalling it and it still shows up. I tried uninstalling all updates associated with IE9 but when I restart the computer I get a message that there is a failure configuring windows updates, reverting changes. When I go to turn windows features on or off, IE11 is present and checked, but not IE9. Other than a wipe and reload, I don't know what else can be done.
Have you tried "re-installing" IE9 over the old one?

If you have an image and feel really brave, maybe you would want to explore this script.

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=48&id=133&artlang=en

I have never used it, so can't offer any advice. I just stumbled upon it.
Since you may be looking at an OS re-install......just another option.
Other than that, I'm out of suggestions.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Harold
Well, I used a script provided by Microsoft for removing IE9 and it removed IE9 and IE8. So, do I need to reinstall 8, then 9, then 10 in order to get IE11 installed? This is what I am trying to figure out now.

Well, I used a script provided by Microsoft for removing IE9 and it removed IE9 and IE8. So, do I need to reinstall 8, then 9, then 10 in order to get IE11 installed? This is what I am trying to figure out now.
You "should be able to install IE11 via direct download (not through updates),
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-install-internet-explorer-9
2nd option in the above link. I know the link looks like IE9, but it really is about IE11.
I don't think you need to go the 8, 9, 10 route.
If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Earguy, You mentioned that you had IE11 on there as well. If so I think I would remove that too so that you have all versions removed. Like starting with a clean slate. Then reboot and go to MS and download and install a fresh copy of IE11. See if that works.

Thinking a little different than others here, but any reason you can't move this client to Windows 10? Since IE 11 comes baked into Windows 10, maybe taking the free upgrade is your ticket?

Back