IE 11 won't install Error code 9C59

earguy

Reaction score
I am working on a system with Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

I have been unsuccessful installing IE11 on this system. The system currently has IE9 installed. When I try to update I get error code 9C59. I've tried downloading and installing from MS's website. It appears as though it is downloading and installed, but when I click on About IE it still says IE9 is the browser.

I ran SFC and it said it did not find any integrity violations.

Any ideas? I will be away from my computer for the rest of the day, but please feel free to respond with any ideas to help resolve this issue. I will respond as soon as I return (most likely tomorrow).

Thank you.

CHKDSK & SFC have not helped.

I've been unable to install IE10. I thought I'd turn IE9 off to see if this would help me install IE10 and then IE11. When I went to Turn Windows Features On or Off, IE11 is the browser listed and the box is checked. So why isn't it running? Could this be a malware issue? I've already performed checks with Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and not much was present. Some adware and a few PUPs, but that was it. I am wondering why IE11 is checked but not running? This is the first time that I have run into this problem and need to get IE11 successfully installed within the next 48 hours. The client owns a franchise and the new application that corporate will be installing on this system needs to run on IE11. I have read at least a dozen or so threads on this issue and still don't understand what the cause is of this problem or how to correct it and get IE11 installed. I'll continue researching, of course, but with all the brain power here at TN, I know someone has the solution.

Thanks

so this is in a business? there are multiple other computers in the office that are able to run IE11 or nobody can? is there a firewall or something blocking updates? do you have IE11 offline installer on a flash drive did you try installing it like that? I'm assuming the user your logged in as has full admin rights? some threads say to bring it down to 8 and try to upgrade it from there but I don't like that idea. just out of curiosity date, time and region is correct on the PC? did u make sure the pc has all the required updates already installed?

so this is in a business? there are multiple other computers in the office that are able to run IE11 or nobody can? is there a firewall or something blocking updates? do you have IE11 offline installer on a flash drive did you try installing it like that? I'm assuming the user your logged in as has full admin rights? some threads say to bring it down to 8 and try to upgrade it from there but I don't like that idea. just out of curiosity date, time and region is correct on the PC? did u make sure the pc has all the required updates already installed?
The other computers all have IE11 installed on them. No firewall blocking updates. I do not have IE11 offline installer on a flash drive, but will do so. The user is logged on as administrator. According to Microsoft, the computer has all necessary updates needed to instal IE11. The date, time and region are all set correctly.

Check installed updates and update history. IE 11 update fail? Have other updates failed?
I've had a similar issue that was related to windows updates being completely fubar.

One indication of that is windows features will be blank, and you said you could see that, so maybe not.

Perhaps check the registry here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing
The entire section was screwy.

If you think it may be related to an update issue, run the MS update readiness tool. It will repair and give a detailed log of update issues it couldn't resolve.

Check installed updates and update history. IE 11 update fail? Have other updates failed?
I've had a similar issue that was related to windows updates being completely fubar.

One indication of that is windows features will be blank, and you said you could see that, so maybe not.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing

If you think it may be related to an update issue, run the MS update readiness tool. It will repair and give a detailed log of update issues it couldn't resolve.
I tried the readiness tool but it wasn't downloading. I will try again. Turn Windows Features on or off was blank for about an hour and then the window populated. IE11 was listed and checked. But, it's not installed so I don't get it. Other updates have failed, particularly IE10 update.

Last edited:
Try downgrading IE and updates as far as you can in Installed Components. Reboot. Disable 'Windows Update' service. Delete your DataStore/Download folders in %system32%\SoftwareDistrobution. Re-enable the WU service. Run WU.

Have you checked permissions? policies?

I've run into this issue before and I think the fix was going through Windows features and uncheck the current version of Internet explorer. Reboot. GO BACK IN, and uncheck whatever version is in there (I think it may have rolled back to 9 or 8 or something). reboot again. Make sure there is no version in there after rebooting.

Then try installing it again. Also search for a MS Fixit tool online, they can be really helpful for these issues.

I think I remember a time I had this issue and believe it or not running disk clean up fixed the issue make sure make sure windows updates are deleted, reboot and try again

Download the readiness tool from your tech PC and throw it on a flash drive.
64bit version:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858
Run it on target pc and check the logs:
Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

It can take awhile, and will look like its just installing a regular update.

In the logs, I'm willing to bet packages are corrupt and can't be repaired. If so, you can download new copies of them and use those to allow it to repair them...

Check this article for details. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

You can download any needed package from: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Some of this won't work correctly if some of the registry keys are missing from the area I posted about earlier. Specifically you want to make sure the version key is there and correct for that machine.

Try downgrading IE and updates as far as you can in Installed Components. Reboot. Disable 'Windows Update' service. Delete your DataStore/Download folders in %system32%\SoftwareDistrobution. Re-enable the WU service. Run WU.

Have you checked permissions? policies?
permissions are OK. Sorry for delayed reply, I've been out for two days unexpectedly.

I will try that, thanks. However, according to MS I have necessary udates for IE11 to install. I even tried uninstalling all updates associated with IE9, including IE9, but the computer simply reinstalled them even though I chose the option where I decide what is downloaded and installed.

Well, wow. I have been having a similar issue with IE11 installation that I had just posted in my own thread (not seeing this one). I had a different error until I was able to upgrade from IE8 (again, in a business, don't ask) to IE10. At this point, attempting to install IE11 results in the automatic update error 9C59 and the manual installation error 0x80070057.

Allow me to add what I have tried to get this to work in hopes we can find both find an answer for this.

1) Renamed the Software Distribution folder. NO change.
2) Ran the system update readiness tool which show these errors as unprepared: 1) Service Registration missing or corrupt 2) Error 0x80070057
3) Installed all other updates (and confirmed all required updates for IE11 are indeed installed) Only IE11 has an issue installing, no other updates are problematic.
4) Checked that Windows Firewall was on (it was not, turned it on) NO change.
5) Ran Bleeping Computer's Windows Repair Tool. Resetting Windows services, repairing IE, repairing Windows Firewall, etc. NO change.

Spending time on something like this is why I started moving more towards just reinstalling Windows. I've had times where Windows Updates are screwed and even after doing a bunch manually with WSUS Offline (which took freaking forever I could have downloaded them all manually faster sorry) it hangs up installing new ones. At this point I've spent more time working on update problems on that PC than the cost of a new PC, so next opportunity I get it's getting whacked.

Back