IBM buys Red Hat

Diggs

Reaction score
I thought someone might mention that IBM is buying Red Hat for $34 billion. I should add that they are doing it for the cloud resources but who says you can't make money on Linux - heh. I see a brighter future for CentOS.

They will kill RHAT probably like everything else they touch. I worry about centos because I have clients on it.

They will kill RHAT probably like everything else they touch. I worry about centos because I have clients on it.

Where ever IBM confines or restricts RH I see as an opportunity for CentOS. I see all those disillusioned from the IBM/RH thing to flock to CentOS. I wouldn't worry. Not so different than the Ubuntu/Mint thing in the consumer space.

Where ever IBM confines or restricts RH I see as an opportunity for CentOS. I see all those disillusioned from the IBM/RH thing to flock to CentOS. I wouldn't worry. Not so different than the Ubuntu/Mint thing in the consumer space.
Centos is RH without support basically. It gets its updates from the RH repos and then customized. Its not like the Ubuntu/Mint thing really. IBM can lock the repo and effectively cut off Centos because they now own RH. Im not saying they are going to do that - Im saying there is that possibility.

Centos is RH without support basically. It gets its updates from the RH repos and then customized. Its not like the Ubuntu/Mint thing really. IBM can lock the repo and effectively cut off Centos because they now own RH. Im not saying they are going to do that - Im saying there is that possibility.

Remember that they are bound by GPL so they can't do that. That's why all the *nix companies have split into a free version, ala CentOS, openSUSE, etc, and the paid versions.

It'll add resources to IBMs SAS/cloud services.
But I don't think all the hype that the media is spreading...is that much of a big deal.
How much did the world rock when Novell purchased OpenSUSE? So uneventful those who even remember that happening probably forgot about it.

Back