HP trouble codes

Fred Claus

Reaction score
Client just dropped off an older HP laptop. It won't turn on no noises or anything. When I go to plug it in instantly I see the power lights and the caps lock light blinking one time every couple seconds. A search of the trouble code shows that when the caps lock light blinks once every couple seconds it's a CPU failure. Does the fact that the power light blinking as well cause it to be a different issue or is it safe to say it's the CPU?

Client just dropped off an older HP laptop. It won't turn on no noises or anything. When I go to plug it in instantly I see the power lights and the caps lock light blinking one time every couple seconds. A search of the trouble code shows that when the caps lock light blinks once every couple seconds it's a CPU failure. Does the fact that the power light blinking as well cause it to be a different issue or is it safe to say it's the CPU?
Either motherboard or CPU sadly.

To do a BIOS update the machine needs to power up at least to the BIOS screen. There is no POST. The motherboard is dead. :)
Not true. The blind BIOS update procedure exists for such situations. A blinking Caps lock key is typical symptom of a corrupted BIOS/EC firmware.

Back