How do you handle a hard drive failure under warranty?

Martyn

Reaction score
I have someone dropping off a computer in the morning with a boot problem. It got me thinking that if it was a hard drive failure(I replaced it 6 months ago) how do you charge for it? So maybe replace the drive under warranty, try to recover their data, reload the new computer? Put data back on if recoverable?

What would be your charges?

If it's a hard drive I replaced and sold, I eat the cost and labor on replacing it and loading the os. Data recovery is on the customer, but that's spelled out in large print in our paperwork. Now if that drive went tits up due to power surge, bad drive controller on the board, a drop, etc, and I can prove it, that's a different story. We keep a few drives in stock. The rma dive goes back into inventory when we get it back.

If it's a hard drive I replaced and sold, I eat the cost and labor on replacing it and loading the os. Data recovery is on the customer, but that's spelled out in large print in our paperwork. Now if that drive went tits up due to power surge, bad drive controller on the board, a drop, etc, and I can prove it, that's a different story. We keep a few drives in stock. The rma dive goes back into inventory when we get it back.

Pretty much exactly the same process for me. Except that I include imaging/basic recovery of files from the failed drive to the new drive.

I replace the drive (and include the labor to physically swap in a new drive) under warranty, but I don't give away anything else. I charge for reloading the OS. My reload charges include setup of office and transfer of data, assuming that is possible. I've never had anyone question my fees for this, although admittedly, I haven't had to do this more than a handful of times.

I eat the labor in replacing it. I rma the drive. They want data recovery, they will be charged for it. We keep spares on hand, and there isn't much loss when all said and done. 5 minutes to swap out a drive, ee auto install their OS, just enter the key in to the script, and in about an hour (average right now) its done.

It got me thinking that if it was a hard drive failure(I replaced it 6 months ago) how do you charge for it?

I've been thinking about changing my modus operandi because of issues like this. I make about $20 on an HDD. Not enough profit to cover the time and labor of the inevitable hardware failure. Since I'm mobile I don't have the HW sales volume to justify a guarantee/warranty like you guys who have shops with lots of traffic.

My eyes were opened by other posters a while back who stated that they buy the hardware as a courtesy for the client but don't offer any type of guarantee or warranty.

If memory, PS or a display panel go bad it's relatively easy and fast to remedy with a replacement but HDD's add too many complex layers to the equation. After reading these replies I might just cover the installation of a replacement HDD/OS and charge time for any data transfer, printer setup or whatever else.

As that majority of you are service technicians, I would think that it would make more sense to deal with this in advance.

When you sell a hard drive, sell your client a backup solution which includes a system snapshot at the time of installation and an incremental backup. So, if the drive fails, you will replace the drive and restore the backup at no extra cost. If they decline the backup service, you simply replace the drive and the costs for windows re-installation and data recovery are on the client.

As that majority of you are service technicians, I would think that it would make more sense to deal with this in advance.

When you sell a hard drive, sell your client a backup solution which includes a system snapshot at the time of installation and an incremental backup. So, if the drive fails, you will replace the drive and restore the backup at no extra cost. If they decline the backup service, you simply replace the drive and the costs for windows re-installation and data recovery are on the client.

Good idea for the future definitely, thanks.

I have someone dropping off a computer in the morning with a boot problem. It got me thinking that if it was a hard drive failure(I replaced it 6 months ago) how do you charge for it? So maybe replace the drive under warranty, try to recover their data, reload the new computer? Put data back on if recoverable?

What would be your charges?

I only handle it free if I sold it and made the retail markup on it. If it is a dell or something else I charge 1 hr to handle the RMA for them unless they prefer to just buy a new drive as well and leave me the RMA for myself, then I might discount 1/2 hr or whatever I value the drive returned to me for.

when I sold it new:

The first 30 days I replace it with a new drive from inventory to best serve the client customer service. If it is older than 30 days but under a year they just bring it to me and I give them another refurb drive from my used inventory. Or a new a new one from the shop inventory if I don't have a refurb at the moment. I then process the RMA and when that drive comes in I put it back into used inventory. If I give them a new drive for what I know is going to be a used refurb drive returned to me from the mfgr then I might charge a $15 service fee to equate the difference in value from the new drive and what I will be getting in return.

If I did not sell the drive to the client new or in a new computer from me then we charge 1 hr labor to process and ship the RMA and when it comes in we install the os and install it for them for additional fees. when I have used drives or Refurb drives about the same value I will just install that for them so they can pay me and be on their way and then I will keep their RMA when it comes in to return to my inventory.

So it would work out to about 3 hrs bench labor: 1 hr to RMA a non warrantied by me drive; 2 hours to install OS and updates. Then possibly $15 fee if I had to give them a new drive and get their old drive back.

I eat the reload labor when it is under 90 days and it is my customer, my sale.

Since the advent of USB hard drives we have always recommended and overed them on our clients as an add on sale. So we are pretty stingy about giving free service if they choose not to have a backup its 100% is on them.

We offer a one year warranty and replace it completely including all labor, which would include basic data recovery. This would restore it back to the way it was when they originally picked it up after installing the original hard drive.

I used to replace the hard drive from stock, reinstall O/S, Office, Data etc FOC...I have now stopped this. I will replace the drive from stock, but charge a lower labour rate..£35 to reinstall O/S, Office, Data etc. My standard charge for this is £65.00. I haven't had anyone object to me charging.

My reason for not charging them anything gives some wow factor. We already charged them $269 ($159 labor,including data+ $110 hard drive). If the part we installed went bad, I feel any less than making them whole would be less than the way I would want to be treated. When they leave they will tell everyone of the above average customer service they got. Many referrals will make up for the few dollars we left on the table by not charging them a portion(for example, data charges) to fix the faulty part we installed.

For us it's a selling point, full one year warranty, when we sell a hard drive replacement. A very small percentage of profitable hard drive replacements ever come back. They are big money makers for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under 30 days we swap it out no charge. Everything else we handle the RMA process for customer but they pay shipping and labor for repair. If its a business client we swap drive right away but still charge labor. We normally have a few RMA'd drives hanging around anyway so usually the customer does not have to wait for RMA swap. Most of our RMAs are advanced replacement with WD so even if we don't have one the process is the same as if we had to order a new drive.

This is how I do it:

When a computer comes and it turns out the hard drive need to be replaced, I give the customer 2 options, and in both options the labor for swapping the drive, installing OS, and data backup/restore if necessary. The difference is this:

1. They buy the hard drive for me at retail cost ( of course I made some markup $ when selling the hard drive) and I add a $30 charge. I explain that in case the hard drive dies before one year, all they would need to do is drop off the machine, and I will have it ready the next day, I would deal with the RMA, and labor cost would be included, so no additional cost to them.

2. If they want to shop around for the cheapest drive in town, and they go buy the drive and bring it to me, then they just pay me fpr swapping drive, install OS and whatever else I do, and I explain that in case a problem arise, they should save the receipt because they will be dealing with best buy or whatever the drive came from. I don't make money on marking up the drive, and no additional $30 charge, so if all works out, they saved money, but if the drive fails anytime after they get the computer back, and they manage to get a replacement hard drive, if they come to me to do the new swap, it will be like a new job, and full normal rates will apply

Most of my customers decide to let me handle it, and when things go smooth, I made some extra money, which makes up for the very few that comeback.

I hope this makes sense

I'm wondering what people count as drive failure?

Clicking/unresponsive drive?
Some bad sectors?

How do you rule out the customer having knocked or drop the machine in use?

I do a hard drive check in Linux for bad sectors. The do the SMART test for the manufacturer of the hard drive. I give the customer the benefit of doubt if the machine has been dropped etc...unless there is a cracked LCD

I'm wondering what people count as drive failure?

Clicking/unresponsive drive?
Some bad sectors?

How do you rule out the customer having knocked or drop the machine in use?

We always assume it is a warranty issue unless clear evidence points to it not being warranty.

A failure is anything that prevents us from reloading windows. Failing to boot, failing to come up as a slave, failing to format and reload windows.

if failing sectors we replace it although there could be some failing sectors within tolerance there should not be any within the 30-90 day warranty period if you did a full format on install.

If I am going to reload an OS, then I am going with a new drive after failed sectors. I can then do a format and see if I can use the swapped drive for something else and if it continues to lose sectors I can RMA it without disturbing the customer again.

Assumed warranty unless For example cracked plastic on the corners or side from a drop, or multiple subsystem failures indicating a shock, or loose jack adapter pointing to a kick and fall from kids running past the power cable and pulling it on the floor, cracked screens or other abuse.

They pay the labor to reload after 30 days so I am pretty liberal as to RMA'ing the drive if I can, I will. The manufacturer is going to send me a new drive no matter what.

Last edited:
Back