HIPAA compliance/security negligence?

Korey Mendes

Reaction score
Hello,

My company recently took on a Physical Therapy client that uses one of the major hosted EMR providers (pretty big name in the field) that's focused in Physical Therapy to managed their medical records and billing.

The gateway to the hosted EMR is being conducted by Citrix Receiver. During a security audit of the client's systems, we found out a few concerning things about the hosted EMR's architecture. It seems that any user of the EMR platform can access a number of areas in the system that would normally be off limits to the average user, which I'm guessing isn't limited to just my client but rather every company that uses this hosted EMR provider.

Here's a list of areas that I can reach while logged into the EMR system as my client's receptionist user:

- Hosted Windows Server 2003 server being used as one of the many environment controllers, which went End of Life in July 2015
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 configuration settings
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 firewall is turned off
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 file system, including Windows folder with read/write access
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 add/remove programs
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 printer list (showing printers from other clients of the hosted EMR provider)
- Hosted Windows Server 2003 security updates have not been installed since July 2015
- Command prompt is able to run numerous commands to reveal open ports, nearby systems, ISP information, and hosted EMR's domain controller information
- Hosted EMR's office domain directory
- Hosted EMR's test workgroup directory
- Hosted EMR's client-facing hosted server farm directory
- Brocade gateway login screen
- Able to remote desktop to the Hosted EMR's domain controller login screen

When I brought this up to the hosted EMR provider, here is what they sent me as a response:

"Windows Server 2003 does not handle anything in regards to security of Systems4PT. Server 2003 runs simply as a controller for the program. The information stored in the clinic database is saved in a secure HIPAA compliant environment. The security and firewalls that protect the clinics data are setup and ran outside of the Server 2003 environment."

The EMR provider gave no indication that they would be pursuing any steps to reconcile the issues that I brought up to them. My client has a signed Business Associate Agreement with the EMR provider that clearly states the EMR provider's systems are within HIPAA compliance, but here are my questions on the matter:

1) Even though the EoL Win2003 servers aren't hosting any medical records, do any of these facts fall under HIPAA compliance issues? 1) They exist on the EMR provider's network as internet facing servers. 2) They can interact with the provider's office domain. 3) They have not been updated since July 2015. 4) Customers of the EMR provider can see information about one another, such as each other's printers

2) Even if the EoL Win2003 servers do not host any medical records, does it fall under HIPAA compliance issues when any customer who uses the EMR platform can easily access parts of the network that they're not supposed to?

Just looking for some insight here if the EMR provider's response was adequate for this scenario, or if I should be pushing the subject further with them on the client's behalf.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Ouch. That's a big sea of red flags - possibly for you as well ("Hey! He was hacking our systems!").

As far as the EMR provider, I'd recommend to your client that they investigate other hosted EMR options, particularly ones that might have migration support from the current one since data migration is the biggest headache once you've been on a system for a while. Having things running through a badly-secured Windows Server 2003 system basically knocks out all their other security even if the data is indeed stored more securely (which I'd question). If someone has this level of access to the 2003 server, anything passing through it would need to be considered suspect.

In addition, if the vendor has let these systems fall that far behind, what else have they let slide? If the problem is resources/cash (e.g. for terminal services licenses, Citrix licenses, etc.) are they paying for backup? Software updates? Hardware maintenance/replacement?

One thing to find out from your client is how much they're paying per month for this - a lot of EMRs are priced per-provider and anywhere from $400-1000/month per provider; if they're in that price range then a different system should be within reach. If they're paying substantially less than that it may help explain why the vendor's systems are so outdated.

Back