Google sheets conditional formatting

Copy what? To copy a formula for a single cell it's just copy from one and paste into the other (presuming same cell location). If you've then got an entire column (or row) of the same formula use the fill function (regardless of whether in Excel or Sheets).

You need to be a lot more clear about exactly what it is you're trying to copy and how you've tried to do it. It's also not clear if you're talking a mixed Excel and Sheets environment or if you're now only working with Sheets exclusively.

I have a Google Sheet that I needed to figure out why the Conditional Formatting formulas weren't working. I mean it's really simple, but it wasn't working.
So I copied the whole thing to another new sheet and found the issue. The sheet has many different languages and I finally figured out that the " and ' and I think some double spaces were making the problem. So when I deleted these all started working.
Now instead of rewriting all of the functions I just want to copy them back to the original Sheet. Copy Paste Formatting doesn't work.
Actually I gave up and started rewriting them. Now I'm just curious.

If you need to copy a formula but NOT have any changes to it (meaning it won't work until repaired in the new sheet), you can put a single quote at the very beginning of the formula which will turn it into a text object. This can be copied like any text object wherever desired. Then once the formula is at its destination, you can edit it to repair the references. This seems like a lot of work, but it is a useful process. You can even keep copies of complicated formulas on a "documentation" sheet as part of the workbook. Makes it easy to fix things when some other user tries something clever and breaks things.

Thanks but Conditional Formatting works different. There's no formula in the field to copy it's text. These are rules with a formula that effects the formatting properties for a cell depending on another cells contents.

I saw this but this in a couple of places but it doesn't work.
Maybe something changed since these were posted.

Now someone that understands my misery.
The difference is that Micro$oft makes you pay for all of those "upgrades".
Backwards compatibility was never a strong point, I wish these decision makers would sometimes try supporting their own multi-version software.

Back