Glued-in touchpad removal?

Ktex

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum here.
I have a Sony Vaio that needs its touchpad replaced as the pointer freezes randomly and only moves if two fingertips placed together are used. I guess the larger area "releases" the pointer. I have received a replacement touchpad, but the old one refuses to budge, first one I have tried replacing. What is your recommendation, hot air to soften the glue, solvent such as alcohol, or just pry it off with a spludger? I am afraid of scratching the inner surface of the palmrest.
All the other touchpads I have done were screwed in, or it was less labor to replace the whole palmrest.
Thanks.

Are you sure it's hot glue ? Many sonys are "welded" with plastic. Can you show a picture or give the exact model ?

It's glued in, the replacement part also has glue. Sony Vaio PCG-61317L or VPCEA36FM. The palmrest is close to 100 bucks, but the replacement pad was just over 6 bucks.
Edit: I am practicing with an older hp dv2000 palmrest, it is also glued in. Hot air didn't soften the glue, I lifted the corner slowly with a spludger, and although the pad bends, there seems to be no damage to the palmrest as long as pressure is kept to the pad only. I just hope the replacement was lifted as carefully as I am lifting this one.

Last edited:
Many Sony and Samsung laptops you can buy the touchpad separate but good luck trying to actually install them. Just like their keyboards, many people sell them but you don't get the frame/trim and that cannot be swapped from old to new.

Are you sure you can access the whole existing touchpad without removing any plastic "welds" from other trim ? Looking at ebay all the VPC-EA machine seem to have welded in touchpads.

Update: I got it off finally after practicing on the dv2000. It was not "welded" just glued in. The pad is secured with a plastic "cage" which is screwed in, said cage also holds the buttons in place. Believe me, it was fun disassembling this laptop three times just to get to the pad, first to check and clean cable pads, second to find the touchpad model and return to customer because she needed it until the replacement got here, and third time (today) for the actual repair.
Thanks to NYJimbo for the heads up on other sonys.

To remove glued touch pads, you can use a hot air gun or blow drier (safer) to warm up the adhesive and gently lift the pad off. Use a flat plastic pry tool.

Thanks PCX, I will use a hair drier next time. I did use the heat gun, but I think it was too high and I did not want any harm to the palmrest. Heat gun is the same one I use for reflows, so it does get pretty hot.
Sony laptop is now working flawlessly, ready for pickup.

I just had the same situation a few days ago. Ordered a new palmrest, and had to transfer the touchpad that was glued in (Acer Aspire laptop). I used a hot hair dryer to heat it before prying, but it was still a PIA.

Did you just use the remaining glue to back on or what glue would you use? Have an MSI GP75 trackpad that has to be transferred to new palm rest.

Back