Generic or universal DVR software?

JustInspired

Reaction score
My older Alien DVR software has stopped showing preview and playback on my Windows 7 PC since I upgraded my graphics card.

The software has a pretty crap GUI but it did work OK prior to the new gfx card. There are no settings to not use hardware acceleration or similar.

Is there a generic replacement program (preferably with a trial version) that I can try?

TIA,
Julian

Why don't you just use Media Center? Perhaps more info on what the DVR is for?

If it's just for TV/cable... media center works fine.

OK, my apologies for not being more clear and thanks for answering. :)

The DVR is one similar to this: http://www.giles-security.co.uk/products/cctv/dvr-units/dvr-alien-dsd105.html

It has four CCTV (coax) inputs. The output is VGA but it is also viewable and controllable via the LAN as it has an ethernet connector on it.

It's in the house, across the yard to my workshop so it's very convenient to be able to launch the client software on my PC and have a quick look at things.

The Alien DVR software is clunky and now no longer working properly so I just wondered if there were any decent generic options.

I downloaded the Blue Iris software demo. Looks good but it appears to be for capture cards in the PC or for viewing individual IP cameras. There was no option to key in the IP address of the DVR and get the feed from that. At least I couldn't see that anywhere.

So, still hunting if anyone else has a suggestion.

Can't you get straight in using your browser?

PS some older generic DVRs can be very fussy if not using IE to view remotely when not using their own app.

Back