"Gaming" routers vs. "Normal" routers

HCHTech

Reaction score
I'm quoting an "fix my wireless" install at a larger residential site. So I'm looking at 3 Ubiquity Pro APs, connected with TPLink AV2000 powerline adapters, and a new wireless router (replacing an aging Apple Airport Extreme). One of the heavy users is a teenage son doing a lot of MMO gaming. His lair is in a finished basement that is unfortunately on a sub-panel for electric, so we'll be putting the AP in the original part of the basement that is wired on the main electrical panel. We'll be replacing his little USB wifi dongle with a PCI adapter, probably the Asus AC1900 - I've used those successfully in the past to squeeze the most performance possible out of a wireless connection.

Besides the gaming PC, there are 3 or 4 smartphones, a couple of iPads, 3 smart TVs, 2 iMacs and 2 laptops that will be accessing the network at various times. Oh, and there is a Sonos system with a base and 3 remote units. Everything but 2 computers is wireless.

Anyway, since we need a new wifi router - I'm wondering about the potential advantages of a "gaming" router like the Asus RT-AC88U, over a more normal AC router, like the Linksys AC2600 or TPLINK Archer C3200 offerings.

I've never used that Asus model before, and my first reaction is that most of the features are probably more about marketing than real-world performance. Plus, it's a whole lot more expensive. What do you think?

Personally I find most of it to be hype.
Most online games don't actually need lots of bandwidth to run. It's just the updates/downloads for the games that need it.

If they do have any issues with bandwidth, that can always be tweaked per device in just about any router nowadays.

Happen to have a HUGE history in differences in the performance of routers, tweaking for online gaming, running public gaming servers, and all that is involved.

Routers tuned for gaming typically should have a bit more RAM, for higher state stables, better ethernet interfaces, better CPU for lower latency, ability to give a certain computer a QoS priority, and importantly...good QoS/traffic shaping features.

Asus does make some darned fine units...
PFSense was actually the best performing router I had...I used to do my online gaming (Battlefield 1942, Desert Combat, etc)....while my son was torrenting, my wife was aggressively surfing, my daughter would be watching online videos...and my ping/latency didn't wavier a bit.

Asking since it was not mentioned. What about the ISP specs? What about signal strength in all locations as well? To be honest if a customer asks for top level performance copper still rules.

Reactions: GTP
Thanks, all. I didn't consider a ubiquiti router because we still need wireless at the primary location. They have cable internet, and just a cable modem, not a gateway, so no wifi. I could get a regular wired router and an additional ubiquity AP, but it's much simpler to just use a wifi router there. This in turn got me to thinking about gaming vs. normal routers, hence the question. I did have the "copper rules" discussion with them. Although we'll be spending several hundred dollars on equipment, I expect it is still quite a bit cheaper than having wire run everywhere they need it. The house is only about 10 or 15 years old, you would think the builder would have run network cable, but no. It's in a pretty high-end development here, too.

I think I'll go ahead and recommend the gaming unit, I wish it was more "enterprise" looking, though. All gaming gear seems to require bright flashing lights and and aggressive case - I'm surprised it doesn't have a window. :rolleyes:

Reactions: GTP
I did have the "copper rules" discussion with them. Although we'll be spending several hundred dollars on equipment, I expect it is still quite a bit cheaper than having wire run everywhere they need it.

Gaming on wireless is a whole bunch of variables. Some games may run OK, others may not. Wireless in some environments can perform different than the same wireless hardware in another environment. You can't always control wireless.

I used to game a lot..and I mean A LOT. Was big into first person shooters. Anyways in our last house, my office was up on the 3rd floor, cable modem and wireless router down on the first floor. Signal was fine on the 3rd floor, most things on my computer ran great. But...some games..when the "rate" of packets REALLY got going..and that game needed a lot of fast movement of lots of small packets...it would often just "hang" for a few seconds..and then snap back. But too late. Was often when I was doing something really fast in the game....like dive bombing in Desert Combat or something. I'd go into a steep dive...and half way down, the game would hang for a second or two..and then when it snapped back, I'd already be crashed into the ground. Or sometimes if I was in a really busy battle on the ground as a solider..lots of activity...similar things would happen. Battlefield was a bit "heavier" on the bandwidth used.

Back in the Quake 2 days..we'd drop the console and run a "lag-o-meter" .brought up a thin bar graph of network traffic on the top of your screen while playing. Anyways, I cured that wireless issue by getting a pair of ethernet over powerline adapters...worked great. Pretty much almost as good as running ethernet cable. Was an old old farmhouse we were renting at the time.

Back