File Storage and access

DRPCNZ

Reaction score
Hi Folks, after some ideas please. I have a client (Sports Organization) a bit over 2000 members. To date they been using some shared folders on a personal OneDrive account however that’s not a satisfactory solution and people find it too difficult to access.

(All users are remote)

They have multiple groups

Group One – 19 members

First Subcommittee - 5

Second Subcommittee - 8

Third Subcommittee - 6

Fourth Subcommittee - 7

Fifth Subcommittee - variable

Sixth Subcommittee - 5

Seventh Subcommittee – variable

Eighth Subcommittee – 5

Nineth Subcommittee – 5

Tenth Subcommittee - 5

Members maybe in more than one group

Their basic requirements

Secure storage of all types of documents/files.

Good backup and recovery features.

Full create, read, update and delete rights for selected people, such as the members of that subcommittee.

Read-only access for other defined people.

Ability to download docs/files (probably anyone with full CRUD or R/O rights?)

Simple commonplace user interface that shows full filenames and date/time-stamps.

Not particularly keen to sue Dropbox due to issues that have been encountered in the past with security issues.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Synology has a "Drive" web-interface to share remotely... You can add as many users/admins/managers/etc and they can also remotely manage the NAS-manage users, etc, if needed.

Then for your backup options - you can hook it to virtually any cloud service and/or hook up a USB hard drive or even run backups to a Network Share. All kinds of Apps and options that should do most if not everything you need and still keep it "in house"

Shared from a "personal" OneDrive?
Wrong service...from a non-business account.

OneDrive isn't meant to be a file server for others.
In the 365 realm, Sharepoint is the central file server, and you make the management of that easy through Teams.

Time to upgrade to 365 Business Premium and get off of that personal MS account.

Non profits can apply directly at Microsofts website for their special discounts. TechSoup simply point them to this page anyways...so skip all the time involved trying to get a hold of someone at TechSoup, and go to where they'd point you anyways...

For M365 Business Premium for non profits, Microsoft has a SKU for the first 10x licenses...FREE. The 11th and onward licenses are $5.50/user/month. You can also get 300 Microsoft Business Basic for non profit licenses for FREE.

Non profits can apply directly at Microsofts website for their special discounts.

I passed this information on to the local non-profit counseling center I'm doing work for when you last offered this link.

I'm all for anything that cuts out middle-men, and even more so when it comes to Microsoft. If you have a "direct to the source" option for something with MS, then using it is a very good idea.

Non profits can apply directly at Microsofts website for their special discounts. TechSoup simply point them to this page anyways...so skip all the time involved trying to get a hold of someone at TechSoup, and go to where they'd point you anyways...
But will M$ provide any support? I was under the impression that TechSoup alos has some support. Mind you nothing fancy.

But will M$ provide any support? I was under the impression that TechSoup alos has some support. Mind you nothing fancy.
Yeah Microsofts support for 365 is pretty decent...they just about always call back within an hour or two after you submit a ticket.
Or...since the OP is a computer guy...he's their support.
I haven't tried to use TechSoup support....so I have no comment there.

Yeah Microsofts support for 365 is pretty decent...they just about always call back within an hour or two after you submit a ticket.
Or...since the OP is a computer guy...he's their support.
I haven't tried to use TechSoup support....so I have no comment there.
So, just to be clear, it's the same support team as those with regular subscriptions? Obviously I'm more than happy to be paid for support. But sometimes the customer needs the real thing.

Back