Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro - a must have tool for techs

@fabs Is there any way to check how much time you have on your license? I signed into your new site but I don't see my orders there.

EDIT: Shoot I just saw the link on your new site to the old archived shop. I checked my order there and I still have a lot of time left on my license. As a suggestion, is there any way you could add a feature to the software itself that shows when the license expires and/or how much time is left before it expires?

As a suggestion, is there any way you could add a feature to the software itself that shows when the license expires and/or how much time is left before it expires?
Actually, there's a feature that can say if license is expired but it looks like a good idea to show how long is remaining. Will think about that for a future release ;)

I'm trying to backup data from a PC on a network to the file server. When I run Fabs and try to pick the destination I can't pick a mapped drive, it doesn't show up, even though the drive is mapped in Windows Explorer. Also, when I click Network the server doesn't show up, a few machines but not all do (on another system nothing showed up).

I tried launching Fabs from my network share and from the local C drive.

Any idea what I can do?

I'm trying to backup data from a PC on a network to the file server. When I run Fabs and try to pick the destination I can't pick a mapped drive, it doesn't show up, even though the drive is mapped in Windows Explorer. Also, when I click Network the server doesn't show up, a few machines but not all do (on another system nothing showed up).

I tried launching Fabs from my network share and from the local C drive.

Any idea what I can do?
That's a known fact: mapped drive do not follow UAC privilege elevated programs. This is a Microsoft security thing that prevents programs with too much privileges from accessing network drives too easily and do bad things.
There are workarounds for this :
- use the UNC path (type something like \\server\share\rest_of_th_path) in the Backup location field.
- User the browse (folder) button at the right of the Backup location path field, and map the drive manually with a right click on the "Computer" or "This PC" icon and select "map a network drive. Then provide the path and eventually required credentials for connection.

- use the UNC path (type something like \\server\share\rest_of_th_path) in the Backup location field.
That's the fix for me, thanks!

Thought I'd tried that. Just tested. A couple of things I noticed. One is that I knew it was working as it would begin to autofill folders as I typed. Two, I tried to add a new folder to the path (one that didn't already exist) thinking it could be added. But when I did that the Next button wouldn't light up. If I plug in a UNC where all the folder exist, it's smooth sailing.

Thanks!

I knew it was working as it would begin to autofill folders as I typed
I'm afraid that's more some kind of a Windows Explorer network browsing issue, not really a Fab's thing.

I tried to add a new folder to the path (one that didn't already exist) thinking it could be added. But when I did that the Next button wouldn't light up.
Which version are you running ? This is allowed only since version 7.12.5.6131 tha was released on July 31st.

Don't know if this is a tweak that others would like, but I'm not importing anything from Internet Explorer anymore. No problem just unchecking the three related entries, but it would be cool if they were unchecked by default.

I was pointing that out, as it was a good thing. Not a problem.

So I've tested this version agains a path like \\nas_server_name_or_ip\share_name and I did not have any issue with it as soon an this path exists. Also, adding some other folder name at the end of the path like \\nas_server_name_or_ip\share_name\test\new_random_folder_name was also granted. All it needs is a \\nas_server_name_or_ip\share_name like path that exists. What comes after it does not matter as it is not checked.
Perhaps there was some access issue to the \\nas_server_name_or_ip\share_name path in a first place.

Hello,
Fab's AutoBackup 7 Pro and Fab's AutoBackup 7 Home & Office 7.13.2.6430 have just been released.

Here is the change log for both versions:

Added:
- It is now possible to get the program automatically updated when used from the command line by adding /AUTOUPDATE switch in the command line. Command line builder now haves an optional check box for that.

Fixed:
- Sometimes, the program did not keep the "backup in sub folder" setting.
- Network paths validity test at backup is removed from code since it could sometimes make the "next" button grayed out even if network path exists. Since such paths are not used by unexperienced users, removing such test feature should not be a problem.
- When there were 0kb Nirsoft zip files (because of corrupted downloads maybe), the program could hang when trying to use them. Now, if there is such an empty Nirsoft zip file, the program will delete it. Then, it will be easy to download a new one again by clicking its box on the program's interface.
- Updater tool could return an empty downloads list. If you see that an update is available but get an empty list, then please download latest full package from your orders history of your store account.

Grab it from your orders history's details on the shop's website at https://archive.fpnet.fr/account.php (ordered before May 1st 2022) or https://store.fpnet.fr/en/order-history for newer orders. You can also use the bundled updater tool (click the "Download Fab's AutoBackup 7.X" link within the program and get the updated files).

Two things. One, is Fab's supposed to transfer Microsoft Edge passwords? If so I may have a glitch.

Second, did not get all Edge favorites on a recent migration. A few came through but not the full list. (I was able to fix it by manually exporting to an HTML file and importing)

For both issues it's possible I was using an outdated version of Fab's but I'm not sure. I think I was using 7.13.1.6277.

Two things. One, is Fab's supposed to transfer Microsoft Edge passwords? If so I may have a glitch.

Second, did not get all Edge favorites on a recent migration. A few came through but not the full list. (I was able to fix it by manually exporting to an HTML file and importing)

For both issues it's possible I was using an outdated version of Fab's but I'm not sure. I think I was using 7.13.1.6277.
Edge is a Chromium based browser such as Chrome. Fab's cannot grab Chrome passwords because of encryption, so, that's not surptising it could not get them for Edge.
The Edge profile copy process is just a "silly" copy/paste of the entire "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data" folder so, if you are missing some bookmarks, that's not normal at all. Perhaps some are encrypted too so they do not make it from backup to restoration.

7.13.1.6277 is not so outdated and Edge processing has not changed for a while.

I've noticed that Chrome browsers sometimes get the passwords pulled over. I guess that's because their Google profile synced and brought them in that way vs a copy process?

I've noticed that Chrome browsers sometimes get the passwords pulled over. I guess that's because their Google profile synced and brought them in that way vs a copy process?
If sync is enabled, then everything passes through, but that's not because of Fab's. With such chromium browsers, Sync is the best way to get things migrated right. Fab's is just some kind of "minimal" service when sync is not possible.

I'm trying to save files from a desktop that won't boot into Windows. I'm able to get in using a WinPE boot disk, but can't copy files with Fab's or manually.

Early in the Restore Log I get messages about the "Copied file's date does not match with the original file". The date on all of those is reported as 12/30/1899.

Later in the log it's "file is in use", then skipping file.

These are all under c:\users\username\OneDrive\....

If I try to manually copy I get this message:

filecopyerror1.jpg

If I boot Linux Mint I can't mount the drive

filemounterror.jpg

The computer in question in an HP All in One with an i7-7th gen CPU and Optane memory of some flavor,

Any ideas on what to do next?

Back