Extend 568B cable with 568A?

Blue Banana

Reaction score
Sorry that I have to create a whole new thread for this but I need a quick answer. A client moved his office and one of the original network cables I installed is now too short to get across to one PC. He needs all network cable stuff to be done by tomorrow. So I've thought and decided I could cut off the short cable and extend it.

The cables in his office are 568B. I only have older 568A cables lying around which I can use as an extension. Can I do this? Won't there be some sort of a connectivity issue if I mix the cable types? I'll want to make a cut in the 568B cable and attach the 568A cable in between the two 586B pieces, or cut off one end of the 568B cable, attach the 568A cable and re-crimp it so it is compatible with 586B. And no, there are no other means of extending the cable. I can't buy couplers or switches or a longer cable.

Last edited:
What will happen IF I do it anyway?

It is possible, but you would need to rewire the 568a end to 568b.

You run a big risk of crosstalk doing it this way. A coupler or switch would be better and running a new wire would be best.

You could also do a wireless bridge with two dd-wrt flashed wireless routers.

Splicing network cable is never the right way to go.

You should not splice in the middle of UTP cables.

568A and 568B are basically the same if they are in the straight through configuration. The only difference is the location of the orange and green pairs.

You should not splice in the middle of UTP cables.

The cables have a specifiic twist per inch for the rated speed.

I you splice in the mddle of the cable there will be speed and reliability issues, due to the fact that the spliced area no longer has the correct twist per inch.

Either:
1) buy new longer run of cable.
2) use couplers.

The quickest and easiest option is to buy a longer cable.

Out of interest, what is stopping you from buying a few couplers or longer cables?

Personally I'd give him the options. He can have the job done correctly but it might not be done for Thursday, or he can have it done quickly but with possible problems in the future.

It's always better to do a job correctly, even if it means your customer has to wait a little longer.

Personally I'd give him the options. He can have the job done correctly but it might not be done for Thursday, or he can have it done quickly but with possible problems in the future.

It's always better to do a job correctly, even if it means your customer has to wait a little longer.

Get it working, but let the client know it needs to be done right when you get the materials in.

568A with a 568B at the other end make a crossover cable, and you should not untwist more than half an inch ( 12 mm)

Pretty much what pc said and thats your best case scenario. You will only want to use the crossover cable if you are connected like devices -- router to router, switch to switch, etc.... take a drive to your local supplier and buy a cable or a bulk box and do the job right. The problems won't even occur in the future they will be immediate and you will more than likely spend hours trying to correct a problem that you know the solution to already.

Pretty much what pc said and thats your best case scenario. You will only want to use the crossover cable if you are connected like devices -- router to router, switch to switch, etc.... take a drive to your local supplier and buy a cable or a bulk box and do the job right. The problems won't even occur in the future they will be immediate and you will more than likely spend hours trying to correct a problem that you know the solution to already.

If he switches the other end of the 568a to b he should be fine. This should never be done, but in a pinch it can be done.

Back