[REQUEST] Excel 2016 Cant open network files

Rob de Vries

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Looking for a bit of help. One of our customers recently upgraded from office 2003 to 2016 (on a windows 10 machine...) Since the install they havent been able to open any documents that are stored on MAP drive on thier "server" (i use this term lightly). Excel and word pop up with Cannot open file, file is corrupt. If i copy any of the files to the local desktop the files open without a problem. i wasnt able to get into much troubleshooting as they closed up shop 10min after calling me for support. Any suggestions on what i can look at when i get access to thier PC again?

Thanks

Try to go to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View
and uncheck the two first checkboxes. I think you have to do that in both Excel and Word.

Sounds like a security issue within office itself... you know the files are "good".
Are you copying these files from the "server" using the workstation that your
having trouble with? Or are you copying from the server, onto something like
a flash drive, and then transferring them over?

Could be the case that, for whatever reason, NO files are able to be pulled
from this "server" to the machine that is having problems.

Try AlexCA's suggestions first.

I'd wager to bet a residential grade workstation, which has most likely
the entire C (OS) drive network shared. Bonus points if it has some type
of secondary drive to be used as a "backup". Major bonus points if it's
actually being used to actively back anything up.

Hi Everyone

Looking for a bit of help. One of our customers recently upgraded from office 2003 to 2016 (on a windows 10 machine...) Since the install they havent been able to open any documents that are stored on MAP drive on thier "server" (i use this term lightly). Excel and word pop up with Cannot open file, file is corrupt. If i copy any of the files to the local desktop the files open without a problem. i wasnt able to get into much troubleshooting as they closed up shop 10min after calling me for support. Any suggestions on what i can look at when i get access to thier PC again?

Thanks

I had the exact same issue but the problem upgrading from 2007 to 2016, the problem also existed in Word ... so basically anything opened from a mapped drive or I think maybe even a UNC path wouldn't open ... I thought it was going to be an issue but I haven't heard from them so maybe they just don't open docs from the server. Their main usage of the server is a database.

I'm pretty sure a downgrade to 2013 would fix it but I never got around to it. So many weird quirky dumb problems with 2016 as I'm sure @callthatgirl can attest to.

Ensure you have the trusted locations + trust network locations setup in the Trust Center in Word / Excel (and as per @AlexCa) and also in control panel >> internet options >> add the "Z drive" or IP of the server to the trusted local networks.

I've also encountered a similar issue when file preview was turned on (so you could see a live thumbnail of the files contents)... turn it off.

Perhaps re-create the mapped drive on the workstation? Double check that network access to the server from the w/s is 100%.

Some have expressed success with:

Remove
- C:\Users\%User Folder%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
- C:\Users\%User Folder%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office
and then Repair Install Office

I also encountered this with a Mac environment where the files needed to have delete permissions in order for Word / Excel to work correctly. You might want to double check the permissions on the share.

And yeah, maybe try an install of 2013 to see if the problem is reproducible.

These are just thoughts, in no particular order on the first things I would try.

Back