ESET Nod32 Damaged registry! Keyboard Drivers DEAD!

help

I was working remotely on two computers in the same home office. The full version of Avast was 15 days from expiring and I was ready to try something new. So I removed avast, also used the Avast uninstaller and did the reboot. I then downloaded the ESET Nod32 installer for the trial version of Nod32 Antivirus 6 with intentions of buying the two year license for two computers for around 80 dollars. I used all the default settings during the install. Then around 50 percent through the install, a bubble message popped up near the notification area warning that a hardware device is no longer functioning or damaged, and it went off too fast for me to read the rest. While trying to activate the trial license by putting in the email address, the user wasn't able to type anything, the keyboard was DEAD! So I completed the email address in the form and activated the trial license via TeamViewer. I then went to device manager and found the keyboard was showing up but not able to install the driver. I uninstalled it, and did a refresh, and nothing worked. I went through the hardware trouble shooter and at some point got this error message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Had the client pull the keyboard and reboot, then shut down and plug in the keyboard and boot.....NOTHING.

Nothing I could find on the net would help me find the fix or what keys to try to repair.

The computer:
Dell Precision Workstation 380
Windows 7 Home Premium 32
Standard Dell USB Keyboard

NOTE:
His sister was down the hall with the exact computer, running Avast; my goal was to remove Avast from both computers and TRY SOMETHING NEW to see how it works out. So not thinking it was something related to ESET, I logged into her box and proceeded to preform the same operation---SAME THING HAPPENED. She is an editor who works on books and does ghost writing....her computer is not DOWN as I sit here and type this.

While this distress SOS help message is posted here, I will continue to search for help on the net...its 2100 EST and I need to get these computers up and running. The clients are about 20 min away if I need to go there...

Standing by on all channels for help.....hahah...

Choppie.

We've installed NOD32 V6 on tons of computers and never had an issue.
Could it perhaps be happening because you were doing the install from a remote session?

We've installed NOD32 V6 on tons of computers and never had an issue.
Could it perhaps be happening because you were doing the install from a remote session?

I'm sure this had to be done before remotly by someone. Could it be TeamViewer, and why would ESET just go in and do something so stupid?

I believe this is similar to the upperfilters/lowerfilters issue with CD drives. Look in HKEY/LM/SYS/CCS/CONTROL/CLASS/{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and see if there is anything in the upperfilters key. The only thing I have is 'kbdclass'. I've seen this before, some AV tools put a keyboard filter in there or they had a keylogger already? Xfinity 'constant guard' does this. Remember, you can still use the on-screen keyboard with the mouse to type stuff in.

I believe this is similar to the upperfilters/lowerfilters issue with CD drives. Look in HKEY/LM/SYS/CCS/CONTROL/CLASS/{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and see if there is anything in the upperfilters key. The only thing I have is 'kbdclass'. I've seen this before, some AV tools put a keyboard filter in there or they had a keylogger already? Xfinity 'constant guard' does this. Remember, you can still use the on-screen keyboard with the mouse to type stuff in.

Checking now...thanks

Choppie

Had 3-4 computers in the last month that had keyboard and mouse stop working after the customers installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. Posted some help before in this thread:
http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44921

Had to offline-edit the registry.

I just fixed the problem on both computers with 100% credit going to phaZed, thanks! via TeamViewer...report to follow:

Found the key and it contained the following information

aswKbd
kbdclass

I removed the aswKbd and that fixed the problem after a reboot...

Had the client reinstall Nod32 without me being logged in via Teamviewer...just to be safe.

While client was doing that, I did the repair on the brothers computer without removing nod32 first....did a reboot and it is also working now...

GOOGLED aswKbd AND I find out that it is tied to avast and its some KEYBOARD FILTER avast installed as a driver...WTF...

Is avast filtering the keyboard now or on guard for a keyloager....

Here is the info...

Discription Related to aswKbd.sys Keyboard Filter Driver from AVAST Software

Anyway...I'm sticking with nod32 for the 30 day trial and having them get a 2yr key for both computers.

This forum is awesome......

Thanks...

...C
Edit/Delete Message

I was working remotely on two computers in the same home office. The full version of Avast was 15 days from expiring and I was ready to try something new. So I removed avast, also used the Avast uninstaller and did the reboot. I then downloaded the ESET Nod32 installer for the trial version of Nod32 Antivirus 6 with intentions of buying the two year license for two computers for around 80 dollars. I used all the default settings during the install. Then around 50 percent through the install, a bubble message popped up near the notification area warning that a hardware device is no longer functioning or damaged, and it went off too fast for me to read the rest. While trying to activate the trial license by putting in the email address, the user wasn't able to type anything, the keyboard was DEAD! So I completed the email address in the form and activated the trial license via TeamViewer. I then went to device manager and found the keyboard was showing up but not able to install the driver. I uninstalled it, and did a refresh, and nothing worked. I went through the hardware trouble shooter and at some point got this error message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Had the client pull the keyboard and reboot, then shut down and plug in the keyboard and boot.....NOTHING.

Nothing I could find on the net would help me find the fix or what keys to try to repair.

The computer:
Dell Precision Workstation 380
Windows 7 Home Premium 32
Standard Dell USB Keyboard

NOTE:
His sister was down the hall with the exact computer, running Avast; my goal was to remove Avast from both computers and TRY SOMETHING NEW to see how it works out. So not thinking it was something related to ESET, I logged into her box and proceeded to preform the same operation---SAME THING HAPPENED. She is an editor who works on books and does ghost writing....her computer is not DOWN as I sit here and type this.

While this distress SOS help message is posted here, I will continue to search for help on the net...its 2100 EST and I need to get these computers up and running. The clients are about 20 min away if I need to go there...

Standing by on all channels for help.....hahah...

Choppie.

Try a system restore to an earlier time.

Back