Email backup tools

This is where Outlook fails, a basic backup function would go a long way.

Outlook was first and foremost designed to work in the business world connected to MS Exchange Server. Thus..backups are done on the server end. No client backup support needed. A workstation could blow up, put a new PC in, setup the user, configure their Outlook to their Exchange mailbox..and they're all set, not a thing lost.

MS added POP/IMAP support as an afterthought..and it's horrible at it, not to mention very neutered/crippled when setup in a residential type system.

I just thought all of our mails will automatically backup on the site itself? Right guys? It's confusing me now :eek:

I just thought all of our mails will automatically backup on the site itself? Right guys? It's confusing me now :eek:
With Outlook? Depends what you're using it for. With Exchange (or 365) or IMAP it is retained on the server and then mirrored/synced to the local user when he/she logs-in. If you're using POP, then, firstly don't and secondly, you'll need to arrange your own back-up.

The tool I use for backing up email and for moving it from one mail client to the next is "MailStore Home" Its ideal if you are doing a mail transfer from an old PC to a new PC and have to go from Windows Live mail to Outlook. Works with Thunderbird, Outlook Express, EmClient, and webmail.

Simply select archive emails, select an email client or webmail account, run the archive, copy the mailstore home folder with the data in it to the new PC and select the export option, select the mail client you want to export to and run it again.

Never had a problem yet.

https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/

Back