Don't have your CAT5 strippers?

Here's my stripper, a CRKT Fossil
CRKT-Fossil-Open.jpg

You do know the purpose of the string inside of the cable, right? Use your snips (or jack knife, or your teeth, whatever) to get the 1st inch or 2 of the outer sheath off, then pull the string down the cable to slit it, then fold over the slit sheath and cut it off. Make your terminations so that you are disposing of the portion of conductors that are where you ringed the sheath, in case you nicked them in the process.

I have these: https://www.amazon.com/Electrician-Scissors-Theater-Klein-Tools/dp/B001PYZI8Y/

With the stripping notches, they've cut, stripped, or otherwise mangled every single cable I've ever worked on. RG6, RG12, Cat3/5/6, 25 pair, 50 pair, 100 pair... doesn't matter. These things enable the termination of wire, full stop.

Just requires practice. I've had them for 20 years, never sharpened, never oiled, just used and abused.

Since we've reanimated this thread - I prefer the ones with the finger loop - like this one, so you can just swoop it all the way around the cable in one motion. The trick is to use an allen wrench (should come tucked into a little notch in the body of the tool) to adjust it just right for the cable you're working with. It takes a few test strips, but once you do that, it works great. Smooth, fast and easy, no nicked wires.

I have that same one in the COAX variety.

But in regards to "auto adjust", my cable stripper "self adjusts". I've used it on various different Cat5e/Cat6/Cat5e outdoor/etc cables and it's never nicked the conductors.

I have been using this since the last century! My electrician clients laugh because they all use a pocket knife.

15010C-2T.jpg

Nice - how do you like it? I'm skeptical of the "automatically adjusts" claim - jackets are not consistent between makers, let alone cable diameter.
I've had no issues with it it's my personal favorite. Never had a problem with a single cable I've installed with it.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

You do know the purpose of the string inside of the cable, right? Use your snips (or jack knife, or your teeth, whatever) to get the 1st inch or 2 of the outer sheath off, then pull the string down the cable to slit it, then fold over the slit sheath and cut it off. Make your terminations so that you are disposing of the portion of conductors that are where you ringed the sheath, in case you nicked them in the process.

That string is actually a strength member and its purpose is to strengthen the cable when pulling.

If you use it to slit the cable you still need to properly cut the outer jacket so you have a clean edge and not a ragged edge that you will have just trying to cut around the jacket after slitting it with the string.

Have you ever had a hard time cutting that little piece of string? Many are now made out of Kevlar because of its superior strength and it dulls whatever tool you are using to cut it.

Back