Dell XPS Studio 8100 won’t lite up, completely dead,

pcmac

Reaction score
Dell XPS Studio 8100 won’t lit up, completely dead,
:confused:

Tested PSU, (used ULTRA power supply tester it passes as OK,)

What else could it be? Dead mobo?

Problem was caused by power surge after electricity was cut off by a storm

Remove everything from the mobo and PC ports and see if it at least spins a fan or lights an LED. Any peripheral could have blown during the surge and might be the cause this issue.

I always swap in a known good PS no matter what my DVM or a tester says.

Then you can assume a dead mobo.

Also, after replacing the power supply with a know good one, remove the ram, turn on... if no beeps then I suspect it's the motherboard

Replaced with a new power supply,only the fans run, this means the motherboard is that correct?

Remove all ram get to short beeps,meaning no ram,so I just put in one stick of RAM, and again just the fans run no beeps but it does not post so I'm assuming it's the motherboard

Last edited:
Have you checked it with an an external monitor? Have you checked the caps lock LED responds etc?

I assume you have removed the battery?

Sorry if my questions sound basic, just don't want to rule out the obvious :)

Do you mean CMOS battery,yes,no change...no response to cap Led,it is connected to monitor,says no signal,...I feel HD spin.....

Last edited:
Do you mean CMOS battery,yes,no change

Meant both, I've come across seemingly dead batteries which were caused by a faulty protection circuit in the battery It sounds like you've tried everything though.

Have you disconnected the WIFI card and everything else?

What laptop is this btw? If it is older than 5 years old I probably wouln't bother spending any more time on it :)

Need to strip this down to the bare essentials. No drives only 1 memory module if it can run only only one, no cards except video, only a KB.

Basic Diagnostics 101

Back