Dell XPS freezes on BIOS POST

gseebohm

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS710 (see system specs at the bottom)

1. When I booted Monday the system froze one third through the BIOS POST screen

2. I unplugged every cable including USB mouse and USB keyboard (but left the monitors) and the system booted (albeit with keyboard missing error). I was able to plug in the keyboard, mouse and ethernet cable and had a functional compter (so the problem is not the hard drive or the motherboard)

3. I powered down and then restarted with just the USB keyboard in and it froze at the same place as #1. I noted then the diagnostic lights on the front: 2, 3 and 4 were green indicating "A possible USB failure has occurred. Reinstall all USB devices and check all cable connections." Duh.

4. Thinking the problem might be the BIOS, I powered up as in #2 and went to dell.com and flashed the BIOS (Rev 1.4.1, same as before). Computer shut down as it always does and then froze at the same place (since the USB keyboard was plugged in). I was able to reboot as in #2 after that so BIOS doesn't seem to be it.

5. Now this is where I (nearly) went wrong. I decided to clear the CMOS. Powered down the system, moved the jumpers on the motherboard from PASSWORD to RTCRST and back as described in the Service Manual and then rebooted. System still froze with the USB keyboard in. So I took the keyboard out but now the system won't boot because it thinks I have a missing floppy drive (I reset the BIOS remember!!!! ARRRGGGHHHH). I get the Dell infamous "Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Ithr]. For help in resolving this problem please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support" error. The system says hit F1 to continue but I can't since it won't boot with a keyboard attached. Talk about a catch-22. So I no longer can get back to a functional computer in #2. Am I stuck? Do I have to call Dell? But wait, our intrepid hero has an idea….

6. So I borrowed a PS/2 keyboard from a friend. The computer doesn't choke on it. I reboot and am able to hit F2, get into system setup and turn off the floppy controller. Disaster averted. While I'm there I checked all the other BIOS settings and they are all at the factory defaults. The only system setup relating to USB is "USB Controller" which is at the default: ON. I exit Setup, system boots and passes POST with only the PS/2 keyboard plugged in and I'm back to #2.

7. Running out of ideas I ran over to Radio Shack and bought a new CR2032 battery. Can some one explain to me why something the size of a nickel and the technological equivalent of a toaster costs $6? I took out the battery from the motherboard, waited 15 minutes and put the new one in. I booted with the PS/2 keyboard, got the same floppy drive error as in #5. Then I went into setup, changed the time and turned off the floppy controller and was able to boot as in #2. Powered down, plugged in a USB keyboard and…. no love. Still freezes at the POST screen; still shows diagnostic lights 2, 3 & 4.

8. Brand new USB keyboard in three different USB ports. No love. Keyboard was a Logitech 967738-0403, about as plain jane as they come. Tried in USB ports in the front and both the upper and lower tier in the back. Foreshadowing: note I wasn't particularly systematic about WHICH ports I tried.

9. Disable the USB from the boot order. Has anyone ever successfully booted from a keyboard? What are you supposed to do - type in machine code? Anyway, no love.

10. Tried disabling the Vista device drivers for USB. Deleted reinstalled. No love. In retrospect, given the hard drive hasn't even started spinning, its unlikely to be the Vista drivers. But, still, no love.

11. Now this is interesting. Tried booting with a USB printer (HP Laserjet 1022) plugged in. And it booted fine. How very odd. Is this a clue? I don't know if this is important or not. Foreshadowing: which port was the printer in?

12. So I learned something new last night. It is NOT that the printer is ok. It turns out that that one USB port is ok. There are 8 USB ports on the machine. A row of four in the back (Hub#1 Ports #1-4), 2 immediately below next to the NIC (Hub#1 Ports #5&6) and then two in the front (Hub#1 Ports #7&8 ). If the USB keyboard is plugged in to #1, then it boots.

And here is another clue. In Vista, if I go to device manager (DM) I see the following
- USB Enhanced Host Controller
- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB host controller
- Unknown Device
- USB Root Hub
- etc etc

What is interesting, is that the "Unknown Device" shows up even when there is nothing plugged in. I tried reinstalling and then just disabling it to see if that fixed the problem and it doesn't. Also note that the Unknown Device does not have a yellow question mark in the DM. In fact it says it is working properly. Philosophically, how do you know it is working properly if you don't even know what it is?

Also note that, per Old Fart's advice, in #10 and again last night, I disconnected all USB devices; uninstalled all of the USB drivers in the DM, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers. The Unknown Device showed up again after reinstalling. Physical examination of port #2 doesn't look any different than any of the others.

So basically Port #1 works; Port #2 is haunted and Ports #3-#8 only work after booting.

So I'm out of ideas and looking for help.

System:
XPS 710
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2.4gHz 4MB CPU,
4G RAM (1G x4)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 768mb video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Sound Card
500 GB SATA Hitachi hard drive
Windows Vista 32 bit

Wow that was long... here are a few suggestions...

Look in BIOS for Legacy USB Support option - try disabling or enabling it to see if it makes difference.

Did it come with a dell keyboard? I remember hearing some kind of crazyness about Dell desktops freaking out when it cant find its sister keyboard.

When booting into safe mode with mouse plugged in, do you see that the optical mouse light would go out when it gets the the mup.sys file?

If you connect a powered USB hub to the good port - and plug everything into it - do they all work?

Is your printer an HP?

Update

Thanks for the ideas

a. There is only on entry in BIOS (#6) that pertains to USB is USB Controller which is set to ON. The BIOS settings can be found here (spaces added to allow me to post the address). I'll try setting it to No Boot tonight.
http: //support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems /xps710/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1054729

b. It did come with a very vanilla keyboard but computer is about 2 years old and hasn't missed it before? Maybe it is suffering from remorse?

c. I will try tonight and d. I don't have a powered USB hub.

e. Printer is an HP Laserjet 1022 (#11)

Last edited:
15. For those who have been following the saga this is the penultimate entry. I left my computer on for as long as I could. State #2 seemed to work. It was functioning. I lasted a week. Then McAfee decided to update and decided that I needed to restart. I acquiesced after being prompted every 15 minutes for 2 days. Why does McAfee to that? Don't they know that just makes them annoying? How about a button guys: Don't remind me ever again! I shut down, unplugged everything but the keyboard and restarted. The system froze! Uh oh! I unplugged the keyboard and restarted. The system still froze about 1/3 through POST with *nothing* plugged in but the monitor. At this point I hate it and hate DELL. I own a doorstop.

16. Bought a Hewlett Packard m9600. Nuff said.

Could be a corrupted bios

1) Open the box and look close to the Battery...you will 10 to 1 see a jumper with 3 pins for "clearing" the bios...
While the computer is OFF, remove the jumper (remember wher it was though), place it on pin 1-2 (if yours was on pin no 2-3), remove it again and put it back on pin 2-3

2) If this doesnt help, enter your bios and use "Default" settings

PS==DID YOU MABY BY ANY CHANCE INSTALL NEW HARDWARE?

Okay folks. I've read through this thread as I was trying to goggle the answer to this problem. Of course, my Dell XPS 710 suffers the same fate and I am hopeful that someone out there has figured out the problem. It seems there are an increasing number of Dell XPS 710s suffering this fate 6-9 months post warranty. My system boots just fine when I unplug all USB devices prior to power on - if I don't, well see above.

I have attempted most of the suggestions above to no avail. Is the USB controller simply bad? If true, why would it work post bios load, into OS load?

At any rate, I can't afford to simply purchase a new computer - heck, this one cost $3k - too expensive for a doorstop! For now I will leave my system powered on and pull the USB devices (keyboard / mouse) on the occassions where I need to reboot. If anyone has a better answer - I'm all ears/eyes.

Thanks,

Popeye

Just a shot in the dark here but maybe a powersupply on its way out. It's interesting that it appears to work (somewhat) when the keyboard is plugged into the #1 USB port.

Just a thought.
Rider

Did you check the ribbon cable for defects?

Better yet, disconnect ribbon cable, both ends!

If that is not the problem my guess would be a cold solder problem on USB card, if a bunch of machines are having the same problem at the same point of time in the service life that is usually the problem.

When diagnosing problems like this, I suggest:

- check all power and data cabel connections

- disconnect ALL USB ports from the motherboard (even internal to chassis ports)

- disconnect external disk drives and e-sata ports

- disconnect card readers

- replace USB keyboard and mouse with old PS/2 type

- disconnect all printers

- remove all add-on storage controllers unless you boot from RAID

- remove sound card

If the problem clears, then add items back in one at a time. Run system for several hours and reboot several times before adding back the next item.

Back