Dell XPS 400 USB Ports Not Working - No PS/2 Ports!

TechGuy71

Reaction score
I have in a Dell XPS 400 and the USB ports are not working. And of course it has no PS/2 ports. (Whoever's idea that was at Dell needs to be shot). I've tried all the ports. When I turn the computer on the keyboard lights flash once then nothing. The mouse optical light never comes on. Yes I've also tried different keyboard and mouse.. I've tried other USB hardware - they do nothing.

I can't even get into the BIOS to check the settings there cause I can't press F2. I've tried resetting the BIOS that did nothing but give me a KB error. I was going to try to boot to UBCD4WIN to see if anything would work there, but can't get it to boot to the CD cause I can't press F12. GGGRRR

From everything I've read this seems to be a widespread problem with these series of computers, but I have yet to see any real solution.

Anyone run into this? Is there anything at all I can do short of a new motherboard? Not even sure this thing would be worth it. Short of not being able to use the mouse or keyboard, it does boot into Windows XP fine.

Thanks for any help.

I think there have been several threads here on this. Dell USB only machine seem like a pain the ass but more often than not the trouble is due to some setting or choice of ports used on the machine or BIOS update or version/age of keyboard/mouse used.

Sorry cant be more help but I know its been talked about here several times before.

ps- PS/2 ports are so 2005.

I think there have been several threads here on this. Dell USB only machine seem like a pain the ass but more often than not the trouble is due to some setting or choice of ports used on the machine or BIOS update or version/age of keyboard/mouse used.

Sorry cant be more help but I know its been talked about here several times before.

ps- PS/2 ports are so 2005.

Yah I thought so too but I can't seem to find them searching.

Back