Dell latitude d630 not powering up

aerocell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a latitude d630 which wont power up,
The battery light will flash green every 10 seconds or so when plugged in, also there is no POST, no fans spin nothing.
I repalced the RAM and nothing,the same with the battery plugged in directly.
I have not got the orignal power adapter for this, I am using a universal adapter and this model should work.
Manhattan 19 V, AC/DC, 120 W

Latitude 100L, 110L, D400, D410, D420, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D620 (Intel Graphic card), D630 (Intl Graphic card), D630 (NVIDIA Graphic card),

However I am not at home so I have very little tools etc with me, I am doing this as a favor for a friend I am staying with.

Any help is appreciated

I've never been a great fan of those universal adapters, I've worked on a lot of those Dell630's, in fact I have two in my shop right now...but I'm selling those.

Every Dell 630 that I encountered the power adapter was a 90w..now the adapter may not be the problem, it could be the power switch it self.

I forgot to mention that the on power button lights up when I press it and then the battery light and then goes off after 2/3 seconds.
I removed the CD drive and HD as suggested on another site and pressed the FN key and then the power button, the num,caps etc light up and then go off again.

I tried with the battery removed and still nothing, I did not realise there was a test button, I got 5 green lights when I pressed it just now,
Seems the battery is not the problem so.
Im wondering if the mainboard is the problem, unfortunately I have no tools with me.
Anymore ideas? thanks for the replies so far.

I forgot to mention I also cleared the CMOS this made no difference.

Last edited:
Does this have the nvidia chipset? If so, call dell, tell them the issue. When they try to sell you a motherboard, mention you know about the defect from the internet and they will replace the motherboard.

Massive list of recalled computers at nividiasettlement.com

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

The 5 lights mean fully charged on the battery. If the 1st, 3rd, and 5th lights flash, battery is bad as an FYI.

Last thing to check is, pull battery and unplug from power. hold power on button for 10 seconds, then plug back in and try to power on. If still dead....it would appear it is dead. Time for a motherboard replacement.

Just for the heck of it try a different power supply, just to be safe. I like to double check those things that I believe are working.

I've never been a great fan of those universal adapters,

Agreed. In fact, the Manhattan ones you are talking about are about the worst. I stopped carrying these two years ago and just stick with genuine adapters. My advice would be to get ahold of a proper OEM power supply for this for further testing.

Agreed. In fact, the Manhattan ones you are talking about are about the worst. I stopped carrying these two years ago and just stick with genuine adapters. My advice would be to get ahold of a proper OEM power supply for this for further testing.

Even though the test lights on the battery showed that there was power?
I actually tried with another universal charger earlier and the same, ordering an OEM will take a few days.
As I said earlier I have very little gear with me as I am just staying with a friend for a few days and I was asked to have a look.
I appericate everybodys input, but it does look like the mobo is the problem here?

It could be the motherboard, or maybe not. I've learned from past experience the hard way that if you don't look at all your options you end up paying for your misdiagnosis.

There about 8 bucks shipped to you on Ebay, you could always keep it in your stock if the don't end up using it, and the problem does end up to be the motherboard. At least that way you know for sure.

I would think if the battery was showing charged, you could turn it on w/o the adapter. If it doesn't turn on, I would think something like the motherboard was bad...

My experience with those mobile adapters is that they don't charge the battery...At least the one I have doesn't charge my Dell, yet the original one does...But, it will power it, just not charge the battery...

Back