Dell Laptops with i7-8th Gen Processors - No TPM?

britechguy

Reaction score
I don't generally even delve into "ancient history," but this one does have me curious. One of the clients I work with has a Dell laptop with an i7-8th Gen processor running Windows 10 22H2. I would have thought that this machine could be upgraded to Windows 11. You could have knocked me over with a feather when running tpm.msc revealed that there is no TPM present at all. Was this common "back then?" I have dealt with a number of machines of approximately that vintage over the years and all had at least TPM 1.0 (or 1.X, I can't honestly remember if it as dot zero). This strikes me as odd, but I know that there are a number of regulars here who deal with Dell hardware a lot more frequently than I do, so I thought I'd ask.

I don't generally even delve into "ancient history," but this one does have me curious. One of the clients I work with has a Dell laptop with an i7-8th Gen processor running Windows 10 22H2. I would have thought that this machine could be upgraded to Windows 11. You could have knocked me over with a feather when running tpm.msc revealed that there is no TPM present at all. Was this common "back then?" I have dealt with a number of machines of approximately that vintage over the years and all had at least TPM 1.0 (or 1.X, I can't honestly remember if it as dot zero). This strikes me as odd, but I know that there are a number of regulars here who deal with Dell hardware a lot more frequently than I do, so I thought I'd ask.
I'm having TPM update issues, too. Here's an article I found for Dell. I haven't done anything yet but maybe it will help?

@Porthos

Thanks, but that implies that the TPM Hardware is present, and from what I can find, the hardware itself is not even present. Could it possibly be there and "completely hidden"? I didn't think so.

Has to be turned on in bios.
This. Also several laptops from different manufacturers of that era have more than one TPM chip. I have a Lenovo T460s. It has a TPM 1.2 chip on the motherboard and a 2.0 that is built into the CPU. You can switch between the two or off in the BIOS.

Computers from that era on have TPM within the CPU. The BIOS needs to expose the option to switch it on, if it doesn't a BIOS update should fix that. So specific TPM-hardware isn't needed, just firmware to enable it in the CPU.
by 2025 I'd think an i7-8th will really be at EOL anyway
Why would you say that? They're faster than some cheap laptops sold today in consumer stores.

Why would you say that? They're faster than some cheap laptops sold today in consumer stores.

Because I'm not comparing to "cheap laptops" but business-class ones. This machine is in use by someone who's currently in law school and who uses a screen reader. I suspect two more years will be EOL, but I won't go beyond "suspect." But I can't do the BIOS stuff anyway. This client is in the midwest and I'm in the east, and I don't know of any way to remote access BIOS. A local tech would be needed.

Because I'm not comparing to "cheap laptops" but business-class ones. This machine is in use by someone who's currently in law school and who uses a screen reader. I suspect two more years will be EOL, but I won't go beyond "suspect."
So your answer to my question is because the user needs better performance than general office use? Fair enough then. I thought you were saying all laptops with 8th gen CPUs will be EOL in 2 years. My mistake.

Back