D7II reports wrong OS on windows 10

Krynn72

Reaction score
So I fired up D7II again to try and get back into it after stopping its use several months ago. On both of my computer, which are now running windows 10 (both upgrades from 7) and both report the OS as Windows 8 (not 8.1). Is this a known issue, or something wrong on my end? I redownloaded D7II with none of my old customization and the issue persists.

Sent in a Feedback about this exact thing a few weeks ago:

Does d7II support Windows 10? The PC is a Dell Studio XPS 8000 running Windows 10 Pro x86. However, on the initial window, d7II v3.6.84 reports that the PC is Win 8 Pro (not Win 10 Pro) and one of the alerts says I need to install Windows 8.1 Update. I thought d7II supported Windows 10?

Their reply:

It does, except for the cosmetic issue. Microsoft changes the way Windows 10 reports is version about two weeks prior to its release. d7II has reached a feature freeze point so we are not planning on updating it further as all developmental efforts have shifted to d7x. You will be freely upgraded to that upon its release. This is the ONLY issue where d7II does not work as expected under Windows 10.

Evidently reporting the wrong Windows version is a "cosmetic" issue and because the current version of d7II is frozen, no fix is forthcoming.o_O

In Windows 10 M$ decided to change how you can detect what version is being run. For the first few preview builds it was updated to show and reflect Windows 10 correctly, but then between preview builds they actually reverted the build numbers that were detectable by what has been the standard method of detection back to detect the same as Windows 8. So Nick had to implement a different method of detecting which version of Windows it was. He has already done that and it is in the next version coming out which will be d7x and provided as a standard upgrade to anyone with a d7ii subscription.

So there is a fix forthcoming, it's just waiting on the next iteration of d7 which is going to be as big a change and difference in new features/functionality as from d7 to d7ii. We consider this a "cosmetic" issue because it's just a reporting feature and has no effect on actual functionality of any of the functionality in d7ii currently to repair and fix systems.

Nothing specific for the full release. Nick is working away on it hard though (he'll blame me for the delay and I have no problem with it because I convinced him to do a line by line check of all the code). This will ensure things all work smoothly, everything is being updated for full Unicode compatibility (some things are still ASCII only which is fine for US/English users but causes problems for international users) and as well as be prepared to make future updates quicker and smoother in implementation.

His plan is to push out the modules that he can incrementally (items outside the actual d7ii.exe), then he will release d7x.exe once those have all been completed. The first module we'll see out is a brand new KillEmAll, which will then be updated with dUninstaller, dBug, and dFunk all in the same window with their functionality integrated better and smoother between them all.

He's working on all three of those items side by side (the line by line, d7x.exe, and KillEmAll) so they will be released in rapid succession as he gets to the end of each project. KillEmAll is close to being completed (we're in bug testing phases now) Then the integration of the other tools into that will probably come next and by the end of those he should be almost complete with d7x.exe and the line by line review so those should come out quickly after that. Proctor and I will be heavily bug testing each item before it is released too, so we may slow the releases even more but I feel it's worth having the polished items vs updates to fix prior updates.

I know it's a big change from he's prior release schedules and methods but I've convinced him it's the better route to take since so many rely on working products for their day to day. Feel free to voice your opinions on that to me and convince me I'm wrong if you feel so, I'm open to discussion on it just like I was with him. Just fair warning though, I'm pretty adamant on the subject :)

@Brantley @ Foolish IT are you looking for any external testers whilst it's in beta?

Only reason I'm asking, is I'm not sure if you use d7ii every day or not, but those of us who do, may be able to help on the bug sweep, with things we may find, and or find a need to slightly alter. Just as we did with the initial d7 release.

It may help get d7x out into the wild a little more quickly, as I'm sure you know there are a huge number of techs who are waiting with baited breath for the release.

are you looking for any external testers whilst it's in beta?
We most certainly will be! That part of his releases I'm in full agreement with. Nick will normally release a major change like this in beta publicly as an optional upgrade for everyone to test in their day to day and provide the final feedback and changes for an actual update push. We still plan on pushing it out like this, but it will be after A. he completes the coding (of course ;)) and his own debug testings B. goes through extensive testing with me (i can break software and find problems like the best customers you have :-D) and Proctor (who owns his own computer repair shop and has his staff using d7ii so he has time to work for us)
Nick has always said d7 would be nothing like it is today without public feedback he has gotten from the techs that use it. We appreciate that the most, I'm just adding the middle bit of us testing release as thoroughly as possible to make it easier on the public testing. Ideally this is so everyone can give ideas/alterations instead of trying to work out easily reproducible items. We also know there are so many different setups/configurations out there for networks and in the software itself, it was impossible for Nick to test everything alone and even still impossible for all of us to test everything even together.

It may help get d7x out into the wild a little more quickly, as I'm sure you know there are a huge number of techs who are waiting with baited breath for the release.
It will def help get it out fully polished quicker, but we're all waiting with baited breath to be honest (Nick included). He's put a lot of time and effort into d7 over the years and is taking everything he's learn throughout and putting it all into what he feels is going to be the best release yet! He's been working on it all day everyday along with us expanding our support options and training a staff to take over what he's been trying to handle alone for the past few years. So again I'll take the blame for his being delayed, but the end result will be him being able to focus solely on development and be able to work on new ideas. Which means great things for the future to come!

Cheers for the update Brantley. I just wasn't sure if the external beta testing would be part of the release or not.

It wasn't 100% clear from your post.

Wait, who are you? I'm so confused right now.

Edit: Meant for Brantley
I know my about me is a little scarce on my profile (tried to keep it short and sweet), but it hits the major points.

Basically I'm a tech that worked along side of Nick when d7 was just an idea scatter throughout batch files he had compiled. I worked with him on issues in tech in general before all these great scanners and fixits were available to root out malware and windows problems while churning out PCs day to day. When I left that job, Nick was (still is) one of my best friends in and out of tech, almost every piece of software he released I got a copy of to test and offer my opinions on and use in my still day to day pc repair working I was doing otherwise. (I still have a copy of d7 v1 alpha, Nick doesn't even have that). Last year Nick approached me to hire me from my at the time remote phone support job to come work for him taking over support and sales, so he could spend more time on development. He was managing everything as it came in and through email alone so needless to say he was becoming more and more overwhelmed as each day passed. I've managed networks and support departments in my jobs since working with him and was able to bring ticket system knowledge and determine it was too much for even me alone to take on fully so we have hired more whom Nick and I have both been training together to keep up with the demand. I'm basically as Nick has put it in the post to pull me into this forum (insert link here but not going to lol) his #1 to him being Picard. We both have very similar work ethics and ideas on how things should be done and that's why he trust me to be his presence here.

I just I should link to that as my about me lol

Will the new dUninstaller have profiles?

For example, some customers like to play the wild-tangent games even though they are informed of the risks, whilst other say get rid of them. It would be great to have a profile where I can choose profile 1 that keeps the games and profile 2 that uninstalls the games.
I there was a way to automate the profiles it'd be the best.

Will the new dUninstaller have profiles?

For example, some customers like to play the wild-tangent games even though they are informed of the risks, whilst other say get rid of them. It would be great to have a profile where I can choose profile 1 that keeps the games and profile 2 that uninstalls the games.
I there was a way to automate the profiles it'd be the best.

Yes in d7x the dUninstaller component will have profiles! In the case of the stand-along dUninstaller, it will get both profiles and capability of deployed copies fetching config updates from your server.

Just a side note, the dUninstaller name is no more and the functionality becoming part of the new KillEmAll interface both in d7x and as a stand-alone app, maybe I can elaborate later.

np! Always feel free to ask for more details or to clarify.

Erm, not quoting that whole post, but that's a bit to live up to! 8^|

---
On d7x: Might as well talk about it...? Should I do a post on the new features and changes in d7x, and if so would that be ok with mods on current forum rules? (also uncertain as we are a former paid advertiser here, but not currently.)

On d7x: Might as well talk about it...? Should I do a post on the new features and changes in d7x, and if so would that be ok with mods on current forum rules? (also uncertain as we are a former paid advertiser here, but not currently.)

It would be great if you came back as a paid advertiser and posted the new info here as well.

attn moderator: I guess what I'm asking is would it be an issue for me to create a new post? I hesitate here because I'll be honest it's a bad thread subject to post good info on the next major version of d7II, (that happens to be called d7x) and people probably should know if they are d7II users and sure we would like them to stay that way by seeing what they have in store for them! But as much as I would hate to post it under a misleading title, I realize a new post might be considered an unwanted ad.

If it helps I would post the title "d7II Subscribers to receive d7x update: changes and features" or similar, and there won't be any pricing talk (it is not a new product or upgrade from a monetary sense anyway, included with all existing d7II subscriptions.)

Back