CRAZY WIN10 Issue - Any help appreciated!

LordX

Reaction score
Ok - new system build with fresh install of Windows 10.. the install has the latest build, so just the regular updates after install...

I leave the system with the EU, and all is good for about 2 days...

I get a call about there being no icons on the screen. The guy hid them or something right? Nope.. They really are not there.

Start menu doesn't work - right click and show icons toggled on and off - did not work...

I turned the system on and off a few times, and finally was greeted with the users regular desktop.. Hooray! Maybe just a glitch right?

Well, the user has their power setting for Turn Monitor off after: 1min... And it did this while I was packing up. I moved the mouse again, and BAM - NO ICONS - Same issues as above!!!

I had to restart a FEW times to finally get back to normal again - let the monitor go to sleep again, and SAME THING..

When I finally got it back with icons again, I set the power settings to leave the monitor on ALL the time - and set the screen saver up to 1 min on BLANK. Figured this would make a good work around to an otherwise VERY odd issue.

Well, it worked for days.... and now it is happening again.

I tried google - looked like one other person had this issue - but no one was there to help him.

Unless anyone has any ideas - I am going to reformat the system... Just nervous that it will happen again.

WEIRD!

Did you see if it was set in tablet mode? Were there at one time 2 monitors connected? If icons were put on the second monitor and then that monitor was disconnected, sometimes the icons will vanish. Can also happen if the main monitor at first was switched to be the second monitor.

Other than that, N&P it with 1709.

Yeap as PCMD stated sounds like Tablet mode..system on the drugs again.

Could also be a video driver problem as well.

SYS SPECS please

Yes, unless the system has a touch screen you can disable Tablet mode (Services.msc) on installs.

Don't believe its tablet mode - as I have seem systems that slip back into that state - and this looks like the standard desktop - just with no icons.

New basic system build - MSI H110 motherboard, 7th gen Core i3... using onboard intel graphics. Built tons of these - first ever with this issue.

Single monitor - never had a 2nd monitor plugged in during its short 2-3 week life.

It is just the monitor that powers off (set under power settings) that seems to cause this issue - the system itself is not going into sleep or hibernate when this is happening.

Well, a reformat will help answer some of this.... user has very little software - and now a fast new computer - so Windows 10 reformat should take 30 mins or less (including windows update).

just wondering, is this monitor connected via display port?

Edit: actually I better explain why i'm wondering as it may help someone in the future. I once read about monitors disconnecting completely from a system when they go to sleep while connected to displayport. I think this only applies to some monitors. Anyway the system then toggles to like a generic vga setting that will be a different resolution, in theory I suppose this resolution could be higher than what the monitor supports which would move the icons out of view? You should be able to manipulate this resolution while remoting in (while monitor is sleeping) with a remote desktop solution like teamviewer....even if im wrong it might be useful to remote in and see what happens when that monitor does turn off.

Last edited:
So - gotta love this - The user had both the VGA and HDMI connections plugged into the computer. The system was reading the SAME monitor as a second screen (or something like that). As soon as I unplugged one of the connections... bam - back to normal.....

Worst part about this - is that I setup the system there - plugging in only one connection of course - so the darn end user actually went back there and decided to start plugging things in... this is why that was never a thought for me....

Siiiiiiiiiigh

Worst part about this - is that I setup the system there - plugging in only one connection of course - so the darn end user actually went back there and decided to start plugging things in... this is why that was never a thought for me....
And users wonder why we charge to fix thier screwups. "that is all it was and you want to charge me" :(

So - gotta love this - The user had both the VGA and HDMI connections plugged into the computer. The system was reading the SAME monitor as a second screen (or something like that). As soon as I unplugged one of the connections... bam - back to normal.....

Siiiiiiiiiigh

In other words his Icons were there, but thanks to Windows 10 putting the task bar on both screens, and his icons were on the "other" screen... they were "gone".

Wow... yeah I've been through that one but got here too late to help. :(

Siiiiiiiiiigh

And this why Murphy wrote that if you make something idiot-proof they'll make a better idiot!

If a customer is able to connect th monitor on a second way to the pc even if there is a functional connection it is YOUR fault! If I set up a system at user's home I'll take all cables with me that are not needed. If the customer want to connect the working peripherals on a second way, he has to go out and buy cables.

If a customer is able to connect th monitor on a second way to the pc even if there is a functional connection it is YOUR fault! If I set up a system at user's home I'll take all cables with me that are not needed. If the customer want to connect the working peripherals on a second way, he has to go out and buy cables.

Yes - I LOVE stealing my customer's cables! In fact - I should go through their entire house - rummage in their drawers - to make sure that they don't have extra cables! Then, once that is complete - I will super glue the motherboard or video card wherever they are not plugged into!

The guy had this extra cable in his drawer... no way for me to know that..... so you can keep your 'faults' to yourself.... good day sir!

Siiiiiiiiiigh

That's like a customer I was at last week. Hadn't been there in ages as they are T&M. One of the problems is they said they kept having was intermittent connections to their server. When I set them up everything all was hardwired and I warned them about letting others, like Comcast, mess with their networks. So after complaining to Comcast about these connection issues Comcast comes out and swaps the router, unplugs the PicoM2 AP, which was just for their smart phones, and set them up on the Comcast wireless including on their iMacs. Of course that wireless LAN scope is 10.x.x.x and the copper scope is 192.168.1.x. No wonder they had problems.

I had a similar situation like this happen to me not too long ago. In my case, I browsed to the c:\users\#user#\desktop folder in explorer and noticed all of the icons there, so I knew it was just a display / rendering issue.

Back