Cloudflare Proxying

HCHTech

Reaction score
When you have your DNS with Cloudflare, you have the option to "Proxy" any record - which, in their words:

=============
This...allows Cloudflare to optimize, cache, and protect all requests to your application, as well as protect your origin server from DDoS attacksOpen external link.
=============

Their documents about this process also say:

=============

Limitations​

Record types​

By default, Cloudflare only supports proxied A, AAAA, and CNAME records. You cannot proxy other record types.

If you encounter a CNAME record that you cannot proxy — usually associated with another CDN provider — a proxied version of that record will cause connectivity errors. Cloudflare is purposely preventing that record from being proxied to protect you from a misconfiguration.
=============

I've found that if I make a CNAME DKIM record, it does not work if I have it set to proxied - I suppose that makes sense. I believe the same is also true for autodiscover records. Regular A records work just fine when proxied, as well as non-DKIM CNAME records. I don't have any clients with AAAA records, so I can't vouch for those.

I guess this boils down to a good thing, but I'm curious why their UX designers chose to have the proxied setting default to "on" when most records either can't have it or don't work with that option - haha. Not sure there is a question here at all, just a "I wonder why they did it that way" observation.

Back