Cleanup old network profiles?

HCHTech

Reaction score
Whenever you connect a computer to a new network, it creates a network profile, that is ultimately stored in:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\NetworkList\Profiles

I seem to remember that there is a way to have Windows cleanup all of those old profiles, either through the GUI or with a powershell command, something.

This isn't normally a problem, but I've been having some odd network issues with my field laptop lately, and I'm up to about "Network 126", so I thought it would be a good idea to get rid of all of those old profiles and start fresh - as a troubleshooting step.

My google skills are failing me, though - am I maybe remembering something from Windows 7 that has since gone away? I could just delete all of those registry keys, but I was sure there was a more-sanctioned way to do it...

I don't recall seeing a built in way to blow those out, just..what you noted the registry keys, or the elevated cmd prompt... (but you have to specify the name in the CMD prompt approach..so it's pretty useless). At least the registry you have them all right there in front of you to blow out.

//a little bit of Google Fu...found a site where you could do this in the GUI, for Windows 7. Seems to have gotten removed from the GUI, in network settings, view your active networks, set network properties, merge or delete....

Back