Clean install 8.1 with bing

pcpete

Reaction score
Have any of you clean installed 8.1 with bing? There will be lots of situations where the built in refresh is broken and we will need to reinstall. I despise the thought of having to contact the OEM and ask for install media. Maybe that is what will be needed to do in the future.

Unlike other versions of Windows operating system, no ISOs are available to do a clean install. Short of getting recovery media from the OEM, there are no ways to reinstall using traditional methods.

This is the down side of buying a $300 laptop (?)

And of course, recovery media were not purchased / made (?)

I would contact the OEM and request disks.

Maybe the 2 week wait will make them realize that they made a [series of] poor decisions.

The only option is to get a recovery from the OEM. That version was not even available from Technet from what I remember.

Did not catch what OP meant at first by 8.1 w/Bing. Have not touched that edition.

They were delivered with 7 pro. They had W8.0 recovery disks. Client wants 8.1. We had done a couple of batches for them by installing 8.0 via recovery disks. Then updating to 8.1 (a really long process). For some reason, this latest batch would not boot after loading the recovery disks. Tried the downloaded ISO, not really expecting it to work but it loaded and authenticated flawlessly.

It has always irritated me that we needed to have different install media for each version and license type. Always seemed like there should be one install media which just activates and enables features based on the product key. I wonder if this is the approach they are now taking.

Vista was just one install media for all versions, not counting the difference between 32 and 64.

The only option is to get a recovery from the OEM. That version was not even available from Technet from what I remember.
I've never even heard of Windows 8.1 with Bing, although I have heard of Windows 8.1 Update, which was available for download through Technet.

After researching it for a few minutes, there appears to be no differences in 8.1 and 8.1 with Bing, other than the default search engine MANUFACTURERS have to use on the units the OS is shipped with. I'd simply pull the key from the BIOS and try installing the standard Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
The ISOs are out there, if you look. I had to deal with this yesterday. Look for Windows 8.1 CoreConnected

"I'd simply pull the key from the BIOS and try installing the standard Windows 8.1."
(sorry haven't used this forum software yet, didn't immediately see how to quote someone)

This does not work. It will say that "This edition of Windows cannot be activated with this key". It must be the "With Bing" version. Supposedly it's a free version of Windows 8.1 that is available to OEMs only

Click on the reply button in the lower right of the particular post you wish to qoute.

While looking around it appears you can fool around with the ei.cfg file just like you could in earlier versions to build a multi-use ISO.

http://www.windowsvalley.com/install-windows-8-without-product-key/
http://www.windowsvalley.com/unlock-editions-windows-8-iso-image/

Thanks, I didn't see the quote in the compose message window, though. No big deal.

CoreConnected is not in the typical Windows 8.1 builds, to my knowledge. It's a relatively newer build that's considered a different edition. I'm sure it's going to be built into a standard image soon enough, but for now it's not

CoreConnected is not in the typical Windows 8.1 builds, to my knowledge. It's a relatively newer build that's considered a different edition. I'm sure it's going to be built into a standard image soon enough, but for now it's not

I would not bet on it being released officially. The only place I have found the core connected (bing) ISO is a torrent. I grabbed both 64 and 32 bit ones and I really hope I don't ever have to risk using them.

But the next time I get one of those machines and the drive is not a bear to remove I am going to give it a shot on a spare drive. If/when that happens I will definitely report back with the results.

I have never had to order a factory disk ever and don't think it will think it would be cost effective to say replace a drive adding the cost of the drive, labor, and also the install disk.

And informing the customer that it will cost almost the same as another computer will not be good for business.

my.02 worth.

I would not bet on it being released officially. The only place I have found the core connected (bing) ISO is a torrent. I grabbed both 64 and 32 bit ones and I really hope I don't ever have to risk using them.

But the next time I get one of those machines and the drive is not a bear to remove I am going to give it a shot on a spare drive. If/when that happens I will definitely report back with the results.

I have never had to order a factory disk ever and don't think it will think it would be cost effective to say replace a drive adding the cost of the drive, labor, and also the install disk.

And informing the customer that it will cost almost the same as another computer will not be good for business.

my.02 worth.

I doubt that they will make it available outside of the OEM ecosystem. Of course copies will get out but I would never touch one unless it is from a official source. Yes it does need the key and registration but they are giving it away to the OEMs. On the recovery disc costs. I'm sure it's just a shipping and handling fee, $10-20

It seems like it can be done. We just sysprepped a clean install of "Windows 8.1 with Bing". Then captured the image using DISM. We then applied the image using DISM to a different computer. It installed flawlessly. This seems to be a good solution. We still need to test some things.

Back