Chkdsk not running

Cambridge PC Support

Reaction score
I know it can't just be me, but on XP/Vista/7, quite often I want to run a chkdsk on the system drive as a last check, and also as a first check after cloning a failing system drive.

So the way I run it is to fire up a cmd prompt and type in chkdsk c: /f/r/v, it can't do it on a running drive so hit 'y' for doing it on the bounce, then exit the the cmd prompt and reboot

I'd say about 7 out of 10 times the PC reboots without running the chkdsk at all, or it comes up and instantly declares the drive to be clean. So I have to run thru the whole thing again.

So what I tend to do is type in the chkdsk on the cmd prompt, then wait about 20 seconds, then exit, then wait 20 seconds then reboot. It's almost as if it doesn't register properly.

Anyone else? :)

Looking at the descriptors for the switches, R implies F so if using R, F isn't necessary. And V displays FAT32 files so wouldn't be used on NTFS??

And a quick search found this, hmmm:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130824-chkdsk-will-not-run-startup-vista.html

HTH

ah, my fingers just automatically do the /f/r/v bit so I blame them! ;)

I vaguely remember seeing a similar article a while ago but it doesn't explain why it takes a coupla "goes" to get it running, on XP and 7 too

please say it's not just me that experiences this? I've had it happen on so many machines over the years!

Well ya know, if you can't fix it get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

I always run chkdsk from the GUI and have no difficulties so will have to defer to teh next helper person...:cool:

I can't say I've noticed it not working. It's something I do quite a lot so I think I would have. I'll keep an eye out for it now.

Had this happen this morning from tools in windows. First time it went into chkdsk briefly then went on. Second try did it properly. I've seen this quite a few times.

I do similar to ATTech. for CHKDSK. After initial hardware diagnostics I'll pop into my custom WinPE and check the system for malware, clean the temp files for the OS and the users on the PC and run a CHKDSK on the drive. That way I can be sure that it ran and I can see the results without having to wait around for the thing to run.

I've seen this happen fairly often. I find that shutting down then starting is more effective than simply rebooting. Seems to work properly if I do that.

Back