CauseWay Error 09 - never seen this before

sorcerer

Reaction score
A friend asked me to have a look at his Packard Bell desktop machine as it had been running really slowly. So, hardware diagnostics first, starting with the HDD, a Western Digital. Booting from the UBCD 5.11 and trying to launch WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics resulted in a "CauseWay Error 09" (1st jpg).

Doesn't matter if I'm trying to lauch it from UBCD, a fresh download of Data Lifeguard, or even <cough> Hiren's; doesn't matter if I'm using CD or USB flashdrive - all attempts to run it end in this CauseWay Error 09.

Attempting to run PartedMagic gets so far but then the Kernel has a panic and will go no further (2nd jpg).

Memtest86+ has run without error for about 8 hours indicating the RAM is good, and I've used a RAM-slot tester which shows the RAM slots are good too.

I've never seen this before and have no idea what a CauseWay Error 09 is and Google isn't much help either, so I'd be grateful for any pointers on this.

Thanks

Attachments

• causeway.jpg
    causeway.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 85
  • cway.jpg
    cway.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 75
Pull the ram and replace it with ANYTHING that you know works. Do the same diags with the new ram. Forget the memtest86+ results for now.

That panic looks like a ram error or out of ram. How much ram does it show after booting ? Is that disk Centos? What version ?

Pull the ram and replace it with ANYTHING that you know works. Do the same diags with the new ram. Forget the memtest86+ results for now.

OK Jim, will do, but it'll have to be tomorrow now as it's 21.35 here and my in-law's are staying here for christmas - my wife reckons I've escaped into the computer workshop (small spare bedroom) for long enough today and I've now got to be sociable :rolleyes:

There's actually 2 x 2GB sticks of PC2-6400 in there but the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, so Windows reports 3GB - BIOS sees all 4GB during POST and Memtest86+ reported 4GB too.

That panic looks like a ram error or out of ram. How much ram does it show after booting ? Is that disk Centos? What version ?

No, not Centos - Ultimate Boot CD v5.1.1

Back