Can't get Server 2012 to install updates

drnick5

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I have a clients server running windows Server 2012 that no longer installs updates. This is the only server they have and functions as their primary DC. I've tried the usual tricks of stopping the update service, deleting the update files and letting them re download, still won't install. There are 44 total updates to install. I've tried just installing 1 update, still having the same problem.

I also tried the running the DSIM tool in command line which didn't seem to find any corruption.

This system has GFI monitoring installed, for now I've disabled patch management until I can get this resolved.

Going through the logs, I see various errors, but I haven't been able to track down the cause of any of them.

the most common one I see is

2014-09-07 22:34:08:337 352 11f0 Report WARNING: CSerializationHelper:: InitDeserialize failed : 0x80070002

2014-09-07 22:34:08:337 352 11f0 Report WARNING: Failed to open event cache file at C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache.v2\{7BCCC21A-AE90-4E44-887A-8C1550B27DD4}.bin for reading with hr = 80070002.

as well as

WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80240037

I've attached the log file, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to try next? Since I can't take down the Server during the day I need to try and fix this during off hours.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Thanks for the reply!

I've already tried using this tool (which is done from command prompt using dism.exe /scanhealth) it said it found no corruption.

I also tried running DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which said it fixed corruption (which I found odd since the initial scan said it found none) but the updates still won't install.

Is this on new hardware, old hardware, or virtual guest? Specs?

System time correct?

Any antivirus installed?

Try manually renaming the software distri folder?

This is on fairly new hardware, (about 2 years old). Running on Vmware ESXI 5.1. There hasn't been any changes to the Host server or the OS itself. This is the only VM running on this Host.

System time appears to be correct

The system has GFI's managed anti virus installed (Which is Vipre). When I try again tonight I'll have this disabled.

I've tried renaming the software distribution folder, which didn't resolve the problem.

So I disabled Vipre and GFI's patch management, I re ran the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth in command line and went through updates 1 by 1. I managed to get all of them installed, except 1.

KB2785094

This appears to be a rollup form January. I've searched around the googles and found a few people having problems installing the same update, although no one had a solution.

I tried manually downloading the update and installing it, but ran into the same problem of it failing after the required reboot.

looking at the update itself, it doesn't seem to be anything major (talks about improvising video playback, and bluetooth audio, neither of which I care about). So I may just exclude this update all together.

Back