BSOD - STOP 0x000000C4

Bootman 650

Reaction score
Hi folks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a HP Netbook in at the moment that's Blue Screening with the following error.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP 0x000000C4

No indication of a specific driver thats causing it. When I analyse the minidump it says its being caused by ntoskrnl.exe

I have:

Tested the RAM using Memtest86+

Started the test, noticed that the CPU temp was 90+ degrees. So obviously, powered the machine down. Complete tear down, removed tons of dust from the fan and heatsink. Removed heatsink, reapplied thermal paste.

Re-Test using Memtest86+ (now running at about 75 degrees, I still think this is too hot)
Testing each stick individually. Completing 8 passes with no errors.
Ran HP Memory Diagnostic. PASSED.
Ran Windows Memory diagnostic. PASSED

Ran SMART test on HD. NO PROBLEMS.
Scanned HD for bad blocks. NO PROBLEMS.
Ran CHKDSK. NO PROBLEMS.

Updated all system device drivers.

Uninstalled Norton Anti-Virus.

Virus/Malware scanned the machine with rescue discs. Offline scanned the HD in a caddy. Scanned with usual tools. Nothing found.

Ran an offline SFC Scan. Found and corrected errors.

Everytime Windows boots, before I log on. I still get this BSOD. Is it possible the CPU has fried because of lack of ventilation? Could that be the cause of this BS?

The only thing I can think of is CPU. Although, my intuition tells me it's a hard drive problem.

ALSO NOTE: On the very rare occasions it does get into Windows and you can log in. Everything runs painfully slowly and most things you open are (not responding) and never come back to life. The CPU usage never goes below 80% either.

Last edited:
@glricht - Live CD's are stable and can run for prolonged periods without problems. Safe mode runs perfectly as well. I understand this screams 'software issue'. I have replaced and updated all of the drivers. I've also tried a clean boot to no avail. Does this not eliminate the chances of it being 3rd party software??

@Galdorf -
1) I had already tried that but forgot to list in my OP.
I will try the vba 32 and driver booster suggestions when I get to the workshop later, although I have already used Snappy Drivers to install new versions of all the drivers...

Thanks for all help so far.

If cpu was fried it wouldn't boot at all, try booting into safe mode command prompt and run rstrui.exe command to restore system.

When you removed norton did you use the norton removal tool? Running fine in safe mode (and just having Norton on it in general) and being an IRQL BSOD would make my gut scream Norton.

@frase - I didn't mean completely fried as such. I meant damaged from being run at an extreme heat for long periods.

@ZenTree - That's what I thought. No, I just uninstalled from App Wizard. I will use uninstall tool to see if it can rid any remnants. Thanks.

UPDATE: Interestingly, the times it does boot without BS I notice that Norton doesn't load in the tray

UPDATE #2: Removed Norton with Norton Removal Utility - problem persists.

Last edited:
If you msconfig out all startup items and all non microsoft services and then boot into normal mode, does it still BSOD?

What version of Windows are you running out of curiosity? When you can get in and CPU is at 80%, what is hogging it?

If you msconfig out all startup items and all non microsoft services and then boot into normal mode, does it still BSOD?

What version of Windows are you running out of curiosity? When you can get in and CPU is at 80%, what is hogging it?

I found it was the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software that was hogging the CPU usage all the time. I've uninstalled the software and just installed the basic driver without the software and it seems to be running much more efficiently (when you actually get into Windows). The last time I tried a clean boot and ran only MS Services it still BSODs.

I don't know if its significant in anything but when I try to run a BIOS update, it BSODS every time. The same error.

Its Windows 7 Home Premium 64x
Intel Core i5-2450M @2.50GHz
4GB RAM

Last edited:
Could be but to be honest I've only ever come across an underlying BIOS fault once in the 9 or so years I've been doing this so I'm far from an expert. I would think that BIOS issues would cause it to BSOD in safe mode still but like I said I'm no expert on that. You could always try to reset the CMOS if it's easily accessible (being a netbook probably not through).

Beyond that I am currently out of ideas beyond backing up and nuking it to rule out software. I'm assuming the BSOD happens no matter what profile you login as.

Let us know how you get on!

UPDATE: So I reset Driver Verifier again, deleted all settings. This allowed me to complete the BIOS update. Just cleared a s*** load of virus/malware from the machine to. Failing to understand how it didn't pick this up when I scanned the drive offline. All drivers up to date. Seems to well, FOR NOW.

Will keep you informed. Thanks all for the help.

Back