[SOLVED] BSOD after login

bolharr2250

Reaction score
So, curious problem here I'm having trouble. It seems I'm getting these errors that are either amdk8.sys and tunnel.sys

The machine BSOD's after it shows the welcome screen, my friend logs in, and then after the desktop appears, POOF! There goes the BSOD. It lasts for about 2 seconds before it dissapears.

We can boot into safemode, and I did a scan (attatched) that has all drivers, programs, and BSOD reports if that helps. No hardware was changed recently, and no software added.

Here is the report: https://www.dropbox.com/s/txyiqj57b2...scan2.pdf?dl=0

Photos of the BSOD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wqu71qh5t...74405.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/clhkhm4n0r...74407.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mibpa0mgul...42844.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l45ntb6wt...55720.jpg?dl=0

Thank you so much! Any ideas would be great

Have you rolled back any recent updates to the machine? There has a been a bunch of problems recently related to KB3097877.

Nope, update 3097877 is not installed, thankfully.

Also, I noticed that MyTurboPC is installed. Big red flag there, but is it related to this issue?

As far as I can tell it is directly related to the amdk8.sys or tunnel.sys process failing.

On another note, we are both open to re-installing windows. Any tips on the best way to do that remotely?

Reinstalling windows remotely sounds like a pretty difficult task my friend ... especially if there is any data.

Reinstalling windows remotely sounds like a pretty difficult task my friend ... especially if there is any data.
No data to be had, already made sure that was backed up before even touching this job. I'm thinking about creating the install USB for him via remote, and having him get the instructions on another device. If anyone has a fix for this issue, let me know. Otherwise, if anyone knows of any dangers of simply re-installing the Win 7 ISO and then entering the product key, I would be all ears.

and the drive is OK? Has your friend checked the physical condition of the motherboard etc? Heat issues?

Memory all checking out?

Are all drivers updated? SnappyDriver.

Can you turn off all boot services and sequentially turn them back on to find the culprit?

and the drive is OK? Has your friend checked the physical condition of the motherboard etc? Heat issues?

Memory all checking out?

Are all drivers updated? SnappyDriver.

Can you turn off all boot services and sequentially turn them back on to find the culprit?
Thanks for the driver suggestion, that sounds like an excellent idea. I suppose I can turn off all the boot services. Hypothetically, if one didn't know how to do that, how would they go about disabling the boot services?

I'll ask him to check on the hardware. Should we remove / re-insert the GPU and RAM besides a look inside?

You can either toggle them in services.msc or msconfig...

Also, since one of the BSOD's indicates an AMD issue, I would also update that BIOS firmware (if there is one available)... I would pull the GPU and rely on the onboard video (for testing purposes).

84816817.gif

Boot into Safe Mode, create a new account, log into the new account. This might rule out a corrupted profile.
Already ruled out, thanks for the suggestion though.

You can either toggle them in services.msc or msconfig...

Also, since one of the BSOD's indicates an AMD issue, I would also update that BIOS firmware (if there is one available)... I would pull the GPU and rely on the onboard video (for testing purposes).
And also, thank you for dealing with my incompetence. Much appreciated

Clean Boot maybe the best option, though time consuming.

• Go into msconfig
    Services>Check Hide all MS Services>Click Disable All
  • Startup>Disable
  • Reboot and see if issue occurs, if not you will need to figure out what is causing the issue by turning on each service and startup one by one.
Check all drivers are installed correctly with no errors.
Check Event Viewer>WindowsLogs>System [on right hand side select Filter current log and check only warning and critical]

Wait wait the BSOD definitely only occurs after you login right? so if you sit on the welcome screen and wait for a while it won't happen?

The safe mode you entered was safe mode with networking or just regular safe mode?

Alright I took a look at that pdf file you attached. Here are my guesses.

1. You have an entry in your common startup called PlutoTV remove that entry then see if issue still occurs.
2. Reinstall all nForce drivers and any other mb related driver.
3. Since you're doing this remotely have you considered trying a prime95 stress test to test for hardware stability.
4. Go ahead and try disabling other items from startup dont forget to check for task scheduler items.

Last edited:
BSOD codes seem quite varied and given the page fault in non paged area I would echo the sentiments to check the hardware first, especially the RAM and graphics card if possible.

Bluescreenview can also show you all the drivers loaded in memory when it crashed, see if there is any pattern there. If no pattern it's normally hardware in my experience. Most of the time anyway.

Clean Boot maybe the best option, though time consuming.

• Go into msconfig
    Services>Check Hide all MS Services>Click Disable All
  • Startup>Disable
  • Reboot and see if issue occurs, if not you will need to figure out what is causing the issue by turning on each service and startup one by one.
Check all drivers are installed correctly with no errors.
Check Event Viewer>WindowsLogs>System [on right hand side select Filter current log and check only warning and critical]
Will try this next time I get the chance. Thanks!

Wait wait the BSOD definitely only occurs after you login right? so if you sit on the welcome screen and wait for a while it won't happen?

The safe mode you entered was safe mode with networking or just regular safe mode?
We haven't tried just sitting at the login screen. Ive actually gotten ScreenConnect to view the "Setting up your Desktop" when he boots in normal mode, so it definitely seems like a process that happens after login. And yes, it is Safe Mode w/ Networking. Thanks for your reply!

Alright I took a look at that pdf file you attached. Here are my guesses.

1. You have an entry in your common startup called PlutoTV remove that entry then see if issue still occurs.
2. Reinstall all nForce drivers and any other mb related driver.
3. Since you're doing this remotely have you considered trying a prime95 stress test to test for hardware stability.
4. Go ahead and try disabling other items from startup dont forget to check for task scheduler items.
I'll make sure I do this. Already updated the Nvidia drivers last night. The stress test seems like a common theme, and it will definitely be worth looking into. Thanks!

BSOD codes seem quite varied and given the page fault in non paged area I would echo the sentiments to check the hardware first, especially the RAM and graphics card if possible.

Bluescreenview can also show you all the drivers loaded in memory when it crashed, see if there is any pattern there. If no pattern it's normally hardware in my experience. Most of the time anyway.
He should be checking to see if there are any physical problems with the device today. I plan on running a stress test tonight. Thanks for the reply!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I really appreciate the help!

We haven't tried just sitting at the login screen.

Well without sitting at the login screen for a bit to give all services and such time to startup the information about the system crashing after login is not nearly as valuable since we arent completely sure. I use prime95 cause its reliable and I can do it remotely but it takes a long time to be sure of system stability. If I was there in person I would perform a memtest.

Ok so, the clean boot didnt work, even despite turning off all login items and services. I updated the drivers using SnappyDrivers, and that didnt work. He is cleaning out the inside of the computer and checking the components. We will be running the hardware stress test next.

All the BSODs we are getting now are related to tunnel.sys

So I guess we have narrowed it down to a driver issue I have not correctly diagnosed, or a hardware issue. Will update

Update: Spiders enjoyed a quiet home inside the case for a while apparently. If this was all caused by dust I swear...

Last edited:
Back